Chapter 32: Meetings

The handsome Advisor brings them past the throne where he pauses to bow to it, and because he does, Wei Ying tugs on Lan Zhan's hand and they both bow as well.

There are six armed guards following them, that Wei Ying hadn't noticed until now. It's unnerving.

"May I ask, what's your name?" Wei Ying says to the Advisor. And then he thinks about all the rules, and he smiles uncertainly. "Actually, am I allowed to ask?"

The man laughs and the broad smile on his face makes him look even more beautiful.

"This one is honoured that our esteemed guests would want to know our humble name. This one is called Xue Nanping, at your service!" He bows again.

"Wei WuXian and Lan WangJi, pleased to meet you," They bow in return.

"I have another question," Wei Ying says quickly, thinking he may as well get another one in. "Why do you guys keep bowing at the throne?"

They're walking past the massive gong now. Xue Nanping stops by its side to touch the cold metal of it.

"We here in the Palace, count ourselves very lucky that we are blessed to be able to see His Royal Highness every day. His Highness works very hard to look after us all, and we see him in a higher position than even a father-figure. It is our way to acknowledge what a huge sacrifice he has made on our behalf, and bowing to his seat is fitting for such a great man."

"Wow...thanks for explaining." Wei Ying gives him a bright smile, and Xue Nanping falters in his steps.

Lan Zhan has been thinking about biting his husband and when he gave away that smile, the one he usually saves for when they're alone, Lan Zhan was quite pissed off. Now, he's thinking about their challenge, of who can turn the other one on, and who's going to win. But he can understand Xue Nanping's reaction; Lan Zhan isn't blind, and his husband is the most attractive man on the face of the earth.

Stumbling is NORMAL.

Lan Zhan discreetly changes his hold on their joined hands and runs his thumb across Wei Ying's pulse point on his wrist, making sure his touch is slow yet determined. Just enough pressure for Wei Ying to know his intentions.

Wei Ying's whole body jolts and he shivers, turning his beautiful face towards Lan Zhan with a helpless and confused expression.

So Lan Zhan does it again. It's hard not to smile at the dumbfounded look on his husband's face. Lan Zhan thinks that if Wei Ying's explanation later has anything to do with him 'just being nice', then Lan Zhan is going to take him right there, wherever they might be.

They are led along a narrow corridor that opens out onto a square garden with a cherry tree at its centre. The path goes into two directions, adjacent to the inner most buildings of the Palace, and Xue Nanping turns them right.

There's a beautiful pond further along with cute little koi fish swimming from side to side, and there's the tiniest bridge to cross over, which they do. Xue Nanping remains quiet as he leads them on, not bothering to point out any details or facts about the various priceless treasures they are seeing.

They pass through a few courtyards, all with different trees and plants until they get to a garden that has more trees than open spaces. The air smells fragrant because of them.

Lan Zhan stops at the barrier between the path they're expected to go down, and this closed-off garden.

"The three friends of winter," he says quietly, everything else forgotten.

"Ah, yes. The pine tree symbolises fortitude and long lasting friendships, the bamboo, signifying humankind's flexibility and resilience, and the winter flowering plum tree, representing perseverance and rebirth." Xue Nanping takes longer, directing a considering look at Lan Zhan now, as if seeing him in a new light. "But it's hardly a surprise when our honoured guests live in a mountainous country themselves. Though not many people know to call the three that name."