Chapter 43

Sofia

I stabbed a slice of steak with my fork and held it up to Dominic's lips. "Here," I offered him with a smile. "Try this."

Dominic placed his hand on my thigh, gently grabbing the inner part as he leaned in to take a bite.

Butterflies instantly erupted in my stomach, heat swamping my face. Physical touch and maximum affection were his love languages and no matter how much his hands even barely grazed me, I could never get off the euphoric linger he left.

Feeling his touch was one thing and that look in his eyes as he ate from my hand was another, simultaneously fuelling my carnal instincts to overstimulation.

Dominic took his sweet time eating, his free hand wrapped around my wrist as I fed him.

He loved it. I could tell from every bite he took and I couldn't feel prouder of myself and all the effort I'd put into making tonight's meal.

When he finally let go of my wrist and drew away from me slightly, Dominic smiled, his fingertips lightly brushing against the flesh of my inner thigh. "Your cooking is perfect and I enjoy it. Thank you."

I simply smiled, turning back to my plate to continue eating. His grip on my thigh felt firm but gentle in a way that told me he wasn't going to take it off anytime soon and I wasn't complaining.

"You were going to tell me about Ava moving in with us," Dominic reminded me, drawing my attention back to him.

I softly hummed, taking a sip of my juice before placing the glass back on the table. "I offered her to move in with us, but she turned me down."

Dominic slightly furrowed his brows, his reaction reflecting as much confusion and surprise as I'd felt when Ava turned down my offer.

"Why?" he asked me, putting down his fork. "She prefers living with your mother instead?"

"Not exactly," I told him, recalling the details of our conversation. "Her reason came as a big surprise to me."

Dominic tilted his body towards me so he could directly look at me and attentively engage in our conversation. "What was her reason?"

"She said she'd like to move in with Olivia instead," I told me exactly as Ava had told me.

"I know," I softly sighed when I comprehended the confusion on his face. "Of all the places she could go, she's most eager to move into the lion's den."

"That doesn't make sense," Dominic reasoned. "My father lives with Olivia and moving into that house means they get to interact more often. I hate saying this, but there are higher chances of him hurting her if she's so close to him."

"I spent nearly an hour trying to explain that to her and the fact that even if Olivia is around, it's not safe, but I couldn't change her mind. Mom taking her side and supporting the idea made convincing her even harder."

I'd sincerely hoped Mom would help me talk Ava out of the idea, but after a few exchanges of words, I figured she could have planted the idea in her head herself.

From her perspective, she'd be busy often and barely be at home and she suddenly didn't trust the staff enough to care for Ava when she was away. She was comfortable with Olivia taking care of Ava like she always did, but this time around, at a closer range.

I didn't get her logic, given Olivia was equally busy and she had her own children to take care of. Yes, she'd been helpful with Ava and showed her admirable affection, but that didn't mean we could put such a big responsibility on her. It felt uncomfortable and just wrong.