Part 18

You entered the dining hall, your eyes never leaving your book as you sat in your reserved seat that was by the Captain's side with Corazon across you.

"Y/N, when did you get back?" Giolla asked, her voice evident with surprise at your appearance.

"A few hours ago," you simply replied.

A familiar large hand took yours and pressed a kiss on your knuckles as you kept your eyes on the words of the book where you searched for an explanation about  an artifact.

You shut your book and put it aside finally meeting the gazes of 'family' you found yourself in. They all feared you as you were someone that's untouchable like Corazon, they also envied your position amongst them. Still, you were family to them since you never wronged them at all.

"Where's Law?" You asked, noticing the child wasn't there.

You placed your gaze on Corazon who only looked at you blankly.

You sighed, getting up to go look for the child but Doflamingo's gentle grip on your wrist stopped you from doing so as he wanted you by his side. If there was one man that you feared, it was Donquixote Doflamingo but you never show him that, it'll only feed his ego.

Corazon on the other hand was a presence you preferred from those whom you were supposed to see as comrades.
Law returned, scratched up and dirty once more. You felt as if you were struck at the chest when you noticed the pale white speckles of skin that peaked out his torn shirt. The rest were appalled and panicked at the sight of the white lead disease which they all believed as contagious.

"Look at his skin!"

"What!? It's contagious! You're disgusting!" Buffalo spat in shock. "Get out of here-dasuyan!"

The harsh words made you look at Law's pained expression. Doflamingo noticed this and a vein in his forehead appeared as he was irritated with your special attention to the new kid instead of him.

Doflamingo didn't understand why you were so protective of this particular child. You were too nice to the children to his liking but he couldn't stop you if he tried.

"White lead comes from poisoning. It's not contagious," Doflamingo educated his comrades as he went on eating.
Their eyes were all on you when you got up from your seat and knelt down in front of Law, your back facing the people you had to deal with on a daily basis.

You gave the child a gentle smile and readjusted his shirt, buttoning it up.

"Come and eat," you told him, ruffling his hair as you stood back up, his small hand in yours as you made your way back to your seat.

You could feel Doflamingo's heated gaze on you but you paid no mind to it, and placed Law on your lap.

"Eat," you simply told him as you took Doffy's glass of wine and drank it.

Doflamingo only smirked and the rest did not dare to speak. Law timidly ate off your plate but his craving for sustenance made him scarf it all down eventually.

Corazon was thankful that you were the only thing that nurtured and showed maternal kindness to the children but he knew his older brother was jealous on how you doted after Law.

He knew you better than anyone else did, maybe even more than his brother.

Despite being around for so long and being so loyal to someone like Doffy, you still felt like a stranger to the rest.

No one knew enough about you but they didn't dare ask because Doflamingo favoured you...How you were his older brother's lover baffled Corazon too. You were his polar opposite, genuine kindness was in your nature.