Part 7

"You haven't touched your wine." Jora pointed out as the family ate dinner.

You raised your gaze from your plate which was barely touched as a hundred million thoughts ran through your head.

The family curiously placed their attention on you and glanced at the Young Master who sat at the head of the table with you on his right. Doffy raised his brow, his grin faltering at your solemn expression.

"Is the wine not to your liking?" Diamante asked, as he sipped his glass.

But all their words never reached your ears, as your brain created and played out different scenarios of the chaos that was about to come. Seeing Law that day was bittersweet and knowing what his intentions were, you questioned your safety.

Doflamingo places his large hand on your lap, gently squeezing your thigh making you look up at them.

"What?"

"The wine..." Diamante swirled his glass, swooshing the red liquid inside it. "It's your favourite one. You haven't taken a sip."

Baby 5 grew concerned and the younger ones, Dellinger and Sugar on the other end of the table, poked their heads out to check on you.

"You haven't eaten either," Baby 5 noticed. "Are you sick?"
"I'm fine," you gave them a small smile, your hand finding Doffy's and interlacing your fingers with his to reassure him.

"I just don't have the appetite to eat."

You took your glass of wine and offered it to Doffy, so it wouldn't go to waste. His usual devilish grin was absent on his face as you got up from your seat, the chair's feet grinding against the floor breaking the silence that fell over the family.

"I will retire for the evening," you murmured. "I'm just tired from today...don't worry about me." You told them and bent down to place a kiss on Doffy's cheek to make your lie more convincing.

The last thing you needed was them to worry you right now.
Doflamingo watched you leave the dining hall and the Family all felt a tension in the air but you did say not worry about you. They did their best but still found your demeanour just now a bit odd and unsettling.

Dellinger and Sugar moved from their seats to check on you but they were beaten to it by the Young Master getting up and following after you.

Usually when you had these man thoughts running through your head, wine was your best friend but given the current circumstances, your friendship with wine was put on hold.

You pressed your palms on the large table where the map of the world was spread and looked at the country of Dressrosa. You heard from Doflamingo that he was going to retrieve Caesar at the Green Bit tomorrow.

When tomorrow comes everything will change.

If the Kingdom finds out about the sins and crimes Doflamingo has made as King, they will equally put the blame on you and turn against you. You spent years creating favour and trust with the people but the moment they find out one bad sin, they'd turn against you in an instant.

If Law wins, he still will expose Doflamingo to the world.

You didn't want Law to die but you also didn't want Doflamingo to be defeated.

Your options were clear.

Fight and you die or surrender and die.

There was no middle ground.

God, a bottle of wine was what you needed right now.
You're surprised you had managed to live this long after that day.

—————