Award Winning Acting

I waited backstage for the current match to finish up. I chewed on my fingernails until they were just nubs. My match was against Beth Phoenix tonight, but Randy Orton was going to be out there.

According to the show’s storylines, Randy Orton and Beth Phoenix have a thing. I was facing Beth tonight.

There was a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see Melina there. My hand was up to my mouth and I was chewing on my nails. She slapped my hand down.

“Stop chewing on your nails Gem. It’s only gonna make things worse. Listen, Vince heard about what happened earlier at dinner. He wants to see you in his office.” I could see a sorrowful look on Mel’s face, which meant that this wasn’t going to be good.

I made my way to Vince’s office and approached his door nervously. I’ve never had to talk to Vince throughout my whole career since I’ve been hired. I’ve had small talk with him before, but this was different. This was going to be entirely about business.

“Come in,” I heard, muffled from behind the door. I opened it slowly and Randy was sitting inside. What the hell was he doing here? “Come in and sit please, Gem.”

I nervously walked into his office and I took a seat in a chair on the opposite side of his large desk. I was a few feet away from Randy, but that didn’t stop the anger from filling my insides.

“Now Gem, I’d assume you’re wondering why I’ve called both of you in here today.” I nodded at his noble words. “Well…everyone knows about what happened at dinner earlier, so we need to resolve some issues. Now I’m not entirely sure what the issue is, but I’ve decided to change the storylines a little bit to make you two get over your differences.”

“Vince I don’t think that’s a very good idea.” Randy didn’t move. He was like a statue in that chair.

I nodded with what he said…surprisingly. “Vince, nothing is going to help this. It would honestly be best if we didn’t have anything to do with each other.”

Vince laughed, and it was sinister. “Look you two. When two people have a problem in the WWE, storylines are the best cure. Besides, they end up making them make it more believable. It’ll make everyone more money in the long run…and you know what they say: money makes everyone happy.” He wrote some things down on a piece of paper before looking back up at us. “You two can get the hell out of here now. I’ll alert Beth Phoenix about the storyline change, and then you two can improvise.”

I was the first to leave his office. Melina was waiting for me as I walked back to where I was standing before I met with Vince McMahon. I was chewing on my nails as I walked up to where she was.

“Gem will you quit chewing on your damn nails? We need to get a manicure now.”

I rolled my eyes at her and my hand dropped down to my side.

“So what did Vince say to you?”

My eyes traced Randy Orton as he walked past me to the other side of the area. I glared at him until Melina snapped her fingers in front of my face. “What?”

“Gem, what did Vince tell you when you went to his office?” She crossed her arms, and I could tell she was annoyed with me.

“Oh,” I had to think about what was really said. “Something about a storyline change between me and Randy. Not good.”

She stared at me with wide-eyes. “Are you serious? After what happened earlier, he’s making you too work as close as you can? That’s messed up!”

I nodded and looked at the curtain that led to the ramp. It was thrown back furiously as Matt Hardy stomped through. He just lost his match against Evan Bourne, but a smile crossed his face shortly after he came backstage. Matt was never an angry person, at least that I’ve seen.

“Gem?” I looked over at a staff member walking towards me. “Gem can we get a shot of you and Randy for the upcoming storylines?”

I looked over at Randy and he was waiting for my response. I couldn’t say no to this. This was my job. I sighed. “Yeah.”

I followed the staff guy over to Randy Orton, and he led us both to a secluded area backstage. “Alright, now I need you Randy, to make it look like you’re comforting her. Put your hand around her or something loving like that. And then I just need you two to give a few kisses to each other for the camera. Can you two handle that?”

Randy nodded right away. They both looked at me and I slowly nodded. I wouldn’t enjoy it, but I wasn’t going to lose my job over this. At least Randy was a good enough kisser that made me actually want to kiss him again.

He wrapped his arm around me. I could already feel myself tensing up, and I could tell that he could feel it as well because he shifted in his seat.

“And action.” The camera was rolling. I made my goo-goo eyes at Randy as he rubbed my lower back in a comforting way. We didn’t say anything. I went in for a long romantic-like kiss and he kissed me back, brushing his hand through my hair and pulling my face closer. “Alright and we’re clear. Thank you guys.” The staff member walked away from us with the camera and I pulled away immediately from Randy.

I went to walk away when he grabbed me by the arm. “Let go of me Randy.”

“Why won’t you just talk to me? After all, we’re gonna start seeing each other more and more.”

“Randy I DON’T want to talk to you. I don’t want anything to do with you anymore.” I smacked his hand off my arm and walked back to where Melina was.

She gave me an apologetic look as I walked over to her. “What was that all about?”

“I had to kiss him for a camera.” I rolled my eyes and took a deep breath. The anger inside me was getting harder and harder to contain.

I could hear the familiar sound of my theme song: “Die Young” by Ke$ha. I made my way through the curtain and I strutted down the ramp as I usually did. I blew my kissed to the crowd and I slapped some of their hands, occasionally giving a small hug to the younger fans. I had always loved seeing the kids out there.

I slid under the ring and jumped around a few times as I pointed out to the fans. But then my music stopped and I prepared myself for my match.

Beth Phoenix’s music played and she walked out, Randy Orton following her down the ramp in an apologetic way. This must have been part of the improvisation, because this wasn’t supposed to be happening.

Beth climbed up the steel steps and climbed between the ropes and into the ring. She walked over to the far side of the ring and grabbed a microphone from one of the stage crew members. She glared at me as she paced back and forth a few times.

I could see Randy Orton mouthing the words “I’m sorry” over and over again. I can only imagine where this is going.