Chapter 1 - The Family Situation

Upon arriving home, a woman in her 40s, as she usually does, brought me a tray with a glass filled with ice cubes, a carafe of orange juice, and this time, a plate with 2 slices of Black Forest cake. I took a seat facing the swimming pool, then turned to the woman and spoke to her.

"Oh, thank you, nanny," I said gratefully as she placed the tray in front of me. "By the way, where is mom?" I asked while taking a sip before grabbing a slice to eat. I thought she would be back by now so I could tell her about what had happened at school.

"Yes, miss? Oh, madam told me she would be coming home late with Mister Han. However, she did inform me that she would be getting coconut-curry chicken cutlets at Maggie's Restaurant for tonight's dinner," she explained cheerfully, knowing that I always eat a lot, especially if it's my favorite.

I smiled to show my thanks to her and got up. Before walking and picking up my school bag, I told her that I'd be going to my room to do homework in the meantime. I looked at the clock to see that it was only 4 in the afternoon. 

My name is Archie, and I am 18 years old. I am currently a student at Star High School, which is known for its prestige and reputation in our town. I am the sole daughter in my family, I also have a brother who is 4 years older than me. However, He has been living abroad for the past year after pursuing his studies there.

At home, it's just me, my dad, my mom, and my nanny who has been a part of my life since the day I was born. In addition, we are fortunate as well to have, four dedicated servants, two skilled gardeners, and two chauffeurs who work tirelessly to uphold the beauty of our home.

Yes. I was born into a very wealthy family. My dad is an ambassador for the country of 'Windmill' and the only grandson of a well-known bank company owner. My mom is the second daughter of a famous family that has been in the food company business for over a decade. Even though she simply became a housewife after getting married.

Nevertheless, I was treated like a princess only when I was at home. And when I was outside, I preferred doing things by myself, taking public transport alone, and engaging in common activities.

"Baby... wake up, sweetheart," I was gently shaken awake from my nap. "Ah... Mom," I greeted her as I slowly opened my eyes.

With a yawn, I hugged my mom and asked what time it was. 

"It's almost 6 in the afternoon. Let's go downstairs first. Your nanny is already preparing dinner. She told me that you went straight to your room after school, so you're probably already hungry, right?" She smiled and softly kissed my forehead.

"I'm sorry for arriving home so late. I had to drop by your dad's office to discuss some matters," she explained as we stood inside the elevator, slowly descending to the 1st floor. The elevator was the preferred choice over the stairs, especially considering the time and our fatigue.

And yes. I live in a large charming three-story house surrounded by hedgerows in a housing complex near the popular West Bridge area. The house itself was equipped with high-end modern features such as the glass elevator as well as a private gym and a swimming pool in a spacious rose garden, so I rarely needed to go outside.

As a result, I carried out light exercises most at home, strolling around the garden or opting for the stairs over the elevator. These simple activities help me stay active and refreshed.

In our family, sharing dinnertime is a must. No matter how busy we are, we always make time for each other during dinner hours. Even my father, who is always busy with work, joins us aside from my older brother, Kenneth.

"Archie, how was school today, sweetheart?" My dad asked me. I couldn't respond right away because my mouth was still fully loaded with the chicken cutlets. My mom smiled with relief while looking at me eating heartily, then she turned to my dad and gave another look, silently asking him to be patient and wait for my reply. 

After dinner, I led my dad to the living room couch and asked him a question: "Dad, you haven't broken our promise, have you?" My dad nodded, but it was my mom, who was sitting in front of us and started peeling mangoes, who seemed surprised at the question.

"You made a promise? Why? Is it something regarding school?" I took a deep breath and organized my thoughts to explain. "Yes, Mom."

"Dad, you promised me that it would only stay between us and the board of directors that I am your daughter, right?" I heaved a heavy sigh as I felt the tension in my voice dissipate. Even though my hands were trembling, I continued. 

"Dad, Mom...something upsetting happened this morning. I saw my classmate, a girl...being pushed while she was cleaning an open window in our classroom, and...I accidentally got involved..." I spoke softly and tried to manage my tone of voice. They looked concerned as I continued.

"Umm...I called out to them to stop, but before I knew it, they had already pushed both of us...and I...I'd tried to hold her hand away...turn out...it almost made me hang over the window's edge...and fall from the 3rd floor..."

"WHAT?!" My mom and dad shouted in unison, anger and bafflement ringing loudly through their voices. My dad abruptly straightened up, while my mom, who had been holding a knife and some mangoes, dropped them in shock at the news she had just heard.