Chapter 5 - An Unusual Epidemic

Monday – April 2nd 2007

Bainbridge Island High School, Bainbridge Island

Arden and I walked through the hall, not really in any hurry as we were already running late. This moment of distraction gave me some time to think about Galen and his freshwater burns. And as I glanced over at Arden, I was starting to believe that something 'odd' was happening to him. I have been watching him change...right before my own eyes!

After a while, metamorphosis becomes something 'normal' when you are an Aos Si in a household of sea-faeries and mythological creatures. But to see someone who was clearly not an Aos Si, changing before my eyes; well, I was now paying closer attention.

I perfectly understand the whole 'gender-bender' aspect of metamorphosis...I personally have experienced that so many times that I have lost count! But to watch both body and clothing change...this was clearly the work of an advanced enchantment! But who is the one enchanting him? And why?

I could sense that Arden was disappointed in me. I was his friend and I did not believe him too, especially when he was now seriously ill! I sneak a passing glance at Arden so as to not embarrass him, still in disbelief.

'There is no doubt about it! He is somehow turning into a female version of himself! What do I do? What do I say to him?!'

"Uhm, I might actually be starting to believe you." I mumbled.

I looked down at the 5-foot 9 boy as his face was now slender and oval...he looked nothing like the 6-foot 2 boy who was implanted into my memories. This boy was like a whole different person!

"Are you truly feeling, okay?" I asked him.

"I just told you that I feel like shit!" he says to me as I notice that he was now wearing lipstick!

'It must be an advanced spell! Like the one that mom once used on me!'

We walked to the chemistry class as I opened the door as we both walked inside, unaware of Mr. Malkovich caffeine induced lectures!

"Uhm...Arden..." as I do not know how to tell him this "...but I think you've gotten shorter."

"What's that supposed to mea—" Arden replies as Mr. Malkovich turns to us, frowning.

He was a bald headed, 66-year-old curmudgeon with a white, Colonel Sanders, goatee. He never smiles, so mean and bitter as he was once a chemistry professor at UW, but with the staff reduction, his tenure now meant nothing; leaving him to teach teenagers.

"Mr. Sakai! Mr. Larson!" he says looking at us. His hazel eyes piercing and cold "How very nice that the two of you could join us. By-the-by, if you're going to ever walk into my classroom late, please show some respect and shut your mouth!"

"I'm very sorry, sir." I commented as I quickly sat down, embarrassed. I've never had a teacher like Mr. Malkovich...ever! Arden sits beside me, going through another coughing fit as I think privately to myself.

'Every time he coughs, he seems to change. It reminds me of the COVID virus that Hitode had made. But it can't be! COVID19 isn't due to be released for at least another twelve years!'

"As I was saying..." as Mr. Malkovich returns to the chemical equation on the white board "copper thiocyanate (CuSCN) plus potassium iodate...what is potassium iodate, Mr. Sakai?"

I gulped, hoping that my memory serves me well.

"Uhm, KIO3?" I replied.

"Very good!" he comments, sarcastically "plus hydrochloric acid, which is what, Mr. Larson?" Arden does not know as I quickly write down the answer of a piece of paper and push it over to him.