16. unexpected visitor.

freen had given becky a week.

In that week, becky found an apartment in the building where she had lived before their marriage, where they had lived together as newlyweds because becky wasn't comfortable with the idea of living in her wife house, that was making her embarrassed.

The landlord was the same, and since she had a vacant apartment he needed to fill, he gave becky a good deal on the rent and allowed her to sign by month, so at least she'd be making some money off the otherwise vacant apartment.

becky had found an almost-full-time job at the insurance company where she had worked during summers and school breaks... the job was nothing for someone can can manage a company with her experience...but that wasn't important for becky, it was like whatever, just give me some money.

When becky pulled up to their house and pressed the garage door button, it came up...and the other side of the garage was empty.

Her wife's car was gone.

The kitchen was spotless, the pantry and refrigerator stocked, and becky saw Hannah's bag of sewing supplies beside the couch. So she was staying with freen.

becky felt both relieved and a little sad.

A stack of boxes was piled beside their front door, and without even looking inside, becky knew what they probably held.

she swallowed the lump in her throat and headed upstairs. Their bed was made, and the large suitcases were packed, most likely with her clothes.

she opened the top drawer of her dresser just to check; it was empty.

A small part of her was terrified that she would find divorce papers, but she didn't.

becky had loaded up her car's trunk with the clothes and had just begun with the other smaller boxes when she heard the garage door going up.

Her heart started pounding, and she wondered if freen would see her car and leave, just wait to return after she had departed.

But becky heard freen pull in and park, and she felt almost sick with worry and anticipation before freen opened the door between the garage and the kitchen and stepped inside, her gaze immediately flicking to becky face.

And becky could see it, for just a second, before her eyes dropped again.
That flicker that she knew freen was hoping becky couldn't see.

becky had known freen too long. Her poker face was always imperfect, to becky.

"Hi," becky said, trying to make her tone even and casual, but she could tell she was failing.
"Are you doing okay?"

freen shoulders rose a little bit as she pulled in a long breath, shrugging. "Yeah," she said, her voice brusque. She was dressed for work, and as terrifying as it had been to see her so vulnerable, the sight of her in one of her uniforms, She was pushing becky out of her life. She was literally pushing her out.

And becky could feel the chance slipping through her fingers.

"I found a place," becky told her, and saw that flicker again.
"I can stay there while we're....working things out."