10. you miss your job?

becky was relieved when she saw Sol standing at the entrance of the modern glass-and-metal office building in downtown Chicago, dressed in her usual attire.

she saw Sol's little half-smile of recognition before Sol led them both inside.

Around them flowed a perpetual stream of young and middle-aged professionals, chattering with their Bluetooth earpieces, conducting rapid conversations as they hurried to the next meeting, the next deal. Their tailored suits and gleaming watches and cufflinks just made becky miss her former life all the more.

"So what have you been up to?"

becky shifted in her seat on the cream-colored microsuede couch. Their first one-on-one meeting had been at another therapist's office, and becky hadn't expected a place like this.

Today's meeting place was sleek and modern. Reflected in the large plate-glass window, becky could see a conventional family photo standing beside the dim computer monitor.

Husband's hand on the wife's shoulder, two grinning children, all of them in black turtlenecks.

This office, the bustle around them, all of it....this was the life becky was supposed to have.

becky swiped under her nose, then pressed the ball of her thumb against her wedding ring, causing it to push away from her skin just above her knuckle.

"Been working on my resume," she said, her voice a little gruff.

"Any good prospects?"

"Looking for a career change?" becky sarcastic smile faded as she shook her head.

"The only thing I'm qualified to do... well, bullshit. Not just qualified. I was great at what I did in California. And here, before I took the promotion, too."

Sol tilted her head, pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose, waiting for becky to elaborate.

becky sighed.
"My boss in Cali, I'm sure she'd give me a good reference."

"And if you take a job similar to the one you had there..."

becky ran her fingers through her hair.
"Then I'll be in the same kind of situations that got me so fucked up in the first place," she said, frowning.

"I'm glad you realize that," Sol said quietly. "And I'm also glad you came clean about the coke use."

becky glanced up at Sol.
"You... did you just have a hunch about it or something?"

Sol shrugged a little and said
"You have a habit of doing this," swiping her thumb under her nose, "when you're frustrated or upset."

"Oh." becky caught herself lifting her hand to do exactly that, and let it fall back down onto her knee. "I didn't know that."

Sol lifted the paper cup of coffee she had brought into the office with her for a sip, then settled back into her chair.
"So you miss your job in California."

"I miss all of it," becky admitted, rubbing her forehead.
"Well, not..."

Sol waved her hand. "We're alone," she said.
"And I've been there. The life... it's seductive. I understand."