Chapter 27 - Work

I awoke with a start, my heart pounding in my chest. The familiar surroundings of the mansion greeted me, but the sense of unease that had become a constant companion never left.

What does Julian, the youngest of the brothers, have planned for me today?

I wondered, a shiver running down my spine.

Suddenly, a knock at the door sent a fresh wave of terror through me. "Y/N," Julian's voice called out, calm and measured. "It's time to get up."

I swallowed hard, forcing myself to remain composed.

Stay calm, Y/N. 

Don't let him see your fear.

Julian, always filled me with a deep, unsettling dread. His cold demeanor and calculating nature made me dread the times when it was his turn to "spend time" with me.

"Y/N," he repeated, his tone unwavering. "Get dressed. It's my turn to spend time with you today."

Reluctantly, I rose from the bed, my limbs feeling heavy with dread, so I quickly began to dress myself, my movements stiff and mechanical.

Julian waited patiently, his gaze fixed on me, his expression unreadable. I could feel his eyes boring into me, and it took every ounce of my willpower not to tremble.

Don't show any weakness. 

Don't let him see how terrified you are.

Once I was ready, Julian gestured for me to follow him. "Come," he said, turning and leading the way through the grand corridors of the mansion.

I trailed behind him, my heart racing.

Where is he taking me? 

What does he have planned?

I couldn't help but wonder what he had in store for me today, and the uncertainty only heightened my terror. I knew I had to be careful, to not show any sign of my fear, lest it incur his wrath.

As we approached a set of ornate double doors, Julian paused and turned to face me. "This is my office," he said, his voice devoid of any emotion. "We will be spending the day here."

With that, he opened the doors and ushered me inside, his movements calculated and precise. I followed, my mind racing with questions and dread about what the day had in store.

Please, let this day pass quickly, I silently pleaded, my heart heavy with trepidation.

Julian gestured for me to take a seat in one of the plush armchairs facing his desk. I did as instructed, trying to keep my hands from trembling as I sat down.

Stay calm, Y/N. You need to be careful, but this may be an opportunity to try and manipulate the situation.

For a few moments, Julian remained silent, busying himself with some papers on his desk. I took this chance to observe him more closely, looking for any potential weaknesses or openings I could exploit.

His posture is rigid, his movements calculated. He's always so in control. But maybe I can find a way to get under his skin.

Suddenly, Julian looked up from his work, his piercing gaze meeting mine. "Y/N," he said, his voice low and measured. "I've brought you here today because I have some matters I wish to discuss with you."

I swallowed hard, my heart racing. This is it. Time to tread carefully. "Sure, Julian," I replied, keeping my tone as even and polite as possible. "I'm listening."

Julian leaned back in his chair, his fingers steepled in front of him. "As you know, I am the responsible son of the Windsor family. That means I have certain... responsibilities that I must attend to." He paused, his gaze never leaving mine. "And I believe you may be able to assist me in some of those matters."

I felt a surge of hope at his words, but I quickly tamped it down, not wanting to give away my true feelings. This is my chance. I need to play this just right. "Sure, I can try."

Julian's expression remained impassive, but I thought I saw a glimmer of something in his eyes.

Is that... interest?

"Well, Y/N," he began, leaning forward slightly. "As you know, my father, the patriarch of the Windsor family, has a rather... strict approach to running the family business."

I nodded, sensing an opportunity. "Yes, I've noticed. He seems quite... demanding, from what I've observed." I paused, carefully choosing my next words. "I can only imagine how difficult it must be to constantly live up to his expectations."

Julian's brow furrowed slightly, and I knew I had struck a chord.

Perfect.

"Indeed," he said, his voice tightening ever so slightly. "My father can be... unyielding in his pursuit of perfection. It's a constant challenge to meet his standards."

I leaned forward, my eyes filled with a mixture of sympathy and understanding. "I can only imagine how that must weigh on you, Julian. To have such immense pressure and responsibility thrust upon you, all while trying to please a father who seems so... unforgiving."

Julian's gaze narrowed, and I could see the wheels turning in his mind.

I've got him.

Now, I just need to keep pushing.

"It must be so difficult," I continued, my voice soft and soothing. "To always be in his shadow, never quite able to measure up. I can't even begin to fathom the toll that must take on you."

As I spoke, I watched Julian's expression carefully, searching for any sign that my words were having the desired effect. At first, his face remained impassive, his gaze unwavering. But slowly, I began to see a subtle shift in his demeanor.

His brow furrowed slightly, and his lips tightened into a thin line.

Aha, I've struck a nerve.

Emboldened, I pressed on, my voice dripping with feigned sympathy.

"It must be so difficult, Julian," I continued, leaning forward in my chair. "To always be in his shadow, never quite able to measure up. I can't even begin to fathom the toll that must take on you."

Suddenly, Julian's expression hardened, and I knew I had pushed too far. His eyes narrowed, and his jaw clenched as he studied me intently.

Damn, he's caught on.

"N-no, of course not," I lied, desperately trying to maintain my composure. "I would never-"

Julian raised a hand, silencing me. "Save it, Y/N," he said, his voice cold and unforgiving. "I'm not a fool, and I don't appreciate being played."

I sat there, my mouth dry, my mind racing. How could I have been so careless? I should have known better than to try and get under Julian's skin.

Julian studied me for a long moment, his expression unreadable. Then, slowly, a hint of a smile tugged at the corners of his mouth.

"However," he said, his tone almost... amused. "I must admit, I'm impressed by your... audacity."

I blinked, caught off guard by his reaction.

Impressed?

What is he playing at?

"It takes a certain... boldness to try and manipulate me, Y/N," Julian continued, his gaze never wavering. "And I can respect that, in a way."

I stared at him, utterly bewildered.

What is he getting at?

Is this some kind of test?

Julian leaned forward, his eyes gleaming with a hint of... something I couldn't quite place. "Tell me, Y/N," he said, his voice low and smooth. "What else are you capable of?"