Chapter 7 - Too long

At the crack of dawn, at 6 a.m., a persistent knock echoed through the room, rousing me from my slumber.

"Ah, I see you've helped yourself to the clothes in the closet. You look better," a voice remarked as a hand extended towards me.

"I apologize for the intrusion. My name is Julian, the youngest," he introduced himself.

"Oh, Julian. Sorry, I'm just not a morning person," I mumbled, still trying to shake off the grogginess.

"I can see that," he laughed as I rubbed my face with my hands. "Today, you're going to be with me."

"Doing what?" I inquired.

"Just normal things, getting to know each other is all," he explained with a friendly smile. "Lets go have breakfast"

I rise from my seat, stretching my limbs, and trail behind him into the dining room. Settling into a random chair, a maid promptly serves me a cup of coffee, which I eagerly sip while glancing at my phone.

Odd, no service.

"Father mentioned you're studying finance," he starts the conversation.

"Yeah, that's correct," I confirm.

"But your passion lies in art?"

"Indeed," I reply.

He nods, stepping closer. "Listen, my father is quite elderly... I just want to ascertain if you're here solely for the financial gain."

"I mean, it's a part of it. Your father seems pleasant, but I have my own life to consider," I explain.

"And what are your plans for the money?"

"Just going back to school, securing a better apartment, and striving for a better job," I outline.

"And your friend?"

"She'll be living with me, of course. It's the least I can do for all the help she's given me," I assert.

He nods thoughtfully as I glance around, attempting to catch a signal on my phone. I notice the maid I conversed with earlier.

"Hey there," I greet her as I approach.

"Well, hello Y/N. How's your stay been so far?" she inquires.

"Pretty good. What's up with the service around here?" I question.

"Huh?" Her face twists in confusion. "Service is usually normal... I'll inquire about it."

"That's odd. How did you even land a job like this in the first place?" I wonder aloud.

"Didn't you know that talking to her is prohibited?" A booming voice interrupts from behind me. I turn to find Stefan glaring at both of us.

"I fail to see the issue; it's just a conversation," I interject.

"No, it's not. You know that, Maria," Stefan retorts.

"Well, I didn't. What's the big deal?" I challenge, my voice escalating enough to attract Lenard from around the corner.

"Rules are rules, and she must face the consequences," Lenard asserts, aligning himself with Stefan.

"It's a stupid rule meant for stupid people," I snap, feeling my anger flare. "And who are you anyway, sitting high and mighty over a simple conversation?" I demand.

Lenard looks shocked while Stefan's anger intensifies. "What's the problem?" Warren, the old man, interjects as he approaches.

"She was talking to the maid," Stefan accuses, pointing at me.

Snitch.

"Well, Y/N, maids aren't supposed to be conversing with guests. She knows that," Warren explains in a gentle tone that only irritates me further.

"And why is that? What's the big deal about talking to the staff?" I press.

"It's the rule," Warren replies.

"A stupid rule," I retort. But before I can say more, I'm suddenly grabbed and pulled into my room.

"What the—"

"You must learn some manners, young lady," Warren lectures me as if he were a father scolding his child. Before I can respond, he walks out and locks the door.

Coming here was a mistake.