26 | Plans Fail

21 BBY, Month 8

Joseta yanked at the steering, sending the ship in a tailspin

Joseta yanked at the steering, sending the ship in a tailspin. The crates in the ship tumbled in the storage below and her two passengers were flying from their seats. At least it was better than being blown up by vulture droid fighters.

"Jos, how can I gun the ship if I am about to throw up on the console?" Giggles asked, stumbling back to his seat to shoot down the vulture droids.

Joseta scrunched her nose, shooting him a glare as she tilted the ship the other direction which sent him tumbling into his chair. "I liked it much better when you were too nice to sass at me."

Giggles frowned, narrowing his eyes at her as he pushed a button on his console. "It's your fault and you know it."

Joseta sighed, unable to find a lie in his statement. "But, you could at least remember that I'm trying my best over here with five vulture droids on my butt."

"You two are a duo, but I wouldn't call it dynamic," said the female pirate in the passenger seat. She buckled herself tighter.

"Sorry, Phee," Joseta mumbled, growling as she failed to lose the ships through the asteroid field. "Goshentrooper, I can't shake 'em."

Phee laughed, shooting her a look. "Do you want my help?"

"As much as I like you, Phee, but we just met you like thirty minutes ago," Giggles said, glancing over his shoulder, his mop of curls framing his face.

"I just met you and entrusted you with my cargo," Phee retorted, kicking back, her feet propped up on the console. She crossed her arms behind her head.

"In return you wanted to meet whoever bought from you," Joseta muttered. "What kind of pirate are you?" Especially one that would want to meet her mom.

"Pirate loosely explains what I am, sweetheart," Phee said, scrunching her lips in thought. "I liberate from the rich to give to the poor and needy. Your cause is a bit needy. You support underdogs. I love a good underdog tale."

Joseta glanced over at Giggles for a moment before averting her eyes back to flying. The past eight months have been a tedious and busy time. Not only was she trying to solve the clone formula, but she was also doing missions for Rylann under what the general liked to call the Loadlifters. A basic enough name to not raise suspicion to the Council, but enough to show what they truly did. Smuggling.

It was the perfect job for Giggles as he transitioned into undercover work. He had grown a beard and grown out his curls, which made him look vastly different than before. Also, made him look more mature. Joseta was glad to have his ARC training when they ran into trouble on smuggling routes. She had gotten better at her fighting, but it was helpful to have someone as skilled as he was.

"So, Crest," Phee said, looking over at Giggles from her seat beside Joseta. She swiveled so her legs hung over the arm of her chair. "You gonna shoot them down or what?"