25 | Then Don't

22 BBY, Month 10

Joseta

Joseta's jaw dropped

Joseta's jaw dropped. Her mother had to be joking. "Giggles?" she asked, crossing her arms over her chest as she watched Mother from the holocall. "You're saying the clone I saved was sent to die?" Anger burned in Joseta's gut. "What a bunch of kriffing—"

"Joseta," Mother said, interrupting. The senator brushed her long hair behind her shoulders. "You need to focus on what I'm asking."

"You're asking a lot," Joseta said, gulping back fear. "You want me to take leave from my post so I can escort a clone to one of your safe houses—" Joseta paused. "Aren't those safe houses for the orphans and refugees displaced by the war?"

"And Giggles is one of them," Mother said, clasping her hands together. "Jos, please hear me. He needs someone he knows and can trust. You risked your life for him out there. And besides, you could see Maiza and Alann."

Joseta perked at the comment. She hadn't seen Kallo's son in a few months. She wasn't too excited to see Maiza and hear her whine about the Maker knew what, but they helped run one of the safe houses on a small backwater planet. "I'll do it." She paused, a sinking feeling hitting her. "But could I be put back with the 501st when I am done?"

Mother looked at Joseta thoughtfully. "So, you've come to like it?"

Joseta nodded. "They look out for me. Many have saved my life time and time again." Rex came to mind. He had been at her side for the past month and had begun to trust her. And now she'd be leaving? Her heart broke over it and she hated that it did.

"I will try my hardest," the senator said, nodding to her child. "Now, you must pack to leave. I expect you'll be gone for a couple of months."

Joseta nodded. "Yes, Mother."

"And Joseta. I have one more thing to ask."

"Yes?" Joseta asked, fighting the tears that threatened to fall.

"I found some things that your father had been researching," her mother said, holding a datapad. "About clones and their rapid aging. Your friend Rylann found some things and her master, Shaak Ti, has asked me to look into it." Her mother paused, gulping as tears formed in her eyes. "I know your father would want you to follow in his footsteps."

Joseta nodded. "I will, Mother. I love you."

"I love you, too," Mother said and ended the call.

A few tears fell from Joseta's eyes. She should be glad to go on an exciting adventure, protecting a clone, studying in the footsteps of her father, and seeing her nephew and sister-in-law, but instead, she felt dread. She would be gone for a long time and what if she wouldn't be there for the 501st when they needed her most? She wouldn't be able to save them. She wouldn't be able to save Rex.

【 '۷' 】

Rex

Rex sat at his desk, going through his online paperwork

Rex sat at his desk, going through his online paperwork. He had a hard time focusing on his work when thoughts of a beautiful woman in his arms were circulating in his mind. He had pulled her back from the car, but had pulled her into his arms. Her closeness, their breaths on each other's faces...he couldn't stop thinking about it.

A knock sounded on his door, startling him out of his thoughts.

He placed his datapad down, clearing his throat. "Come in." In came the woman on his mind, though Joseta looked paler than usual. The light had left her eyes, too. Rex furrowed his brows, standing up to greet her. "Jos, are you alright?"

She started to nod, but then her face contorted as if in pain. "No," she whispered before breaking down and crying into her hands.

Rex didn't know what to do. Someone he cared for was crying. He didn't do crying. Neither did his brothers. "Josie," he whispered, pulling her into an embrace. Her warm face was within the crook of his neck, her tears wetting the top of his blacks. "What's wrong?"

"I have to leave," Joseta muttered.

Those four words tore a hole in his heart. Leave? He thought. But she just got here.

"Joseta," he said, pulling away to look her in the eyes, his hands on her shoulders. "Why?"

"My mother has called me away to an important family matter and—" she shook her head, face scrunching in pain. "I can't tell you more and it kills me not to."

Rex's shoulder dropped as he let go of her. "I don't want you to disrespect your mother's wishes." He moved around the desk to sit in his chair.

Joseta sat in the chair across from his desk, wiping her eyes. "I wish I could, I really do." She met his eyes as she tapped her fingers on his desk.. "I just don't want to go. I've found purpose, growth, and friends—" She looked as if she was about to cry.

"Then don't," Rex said, reaching for her hand. "Don't go."

Joseta looked away. "I have to. It's important and it's something no one else can do."

"How long will you be gone?" Rex asked, dreading to hear that it would never be the same.

"At least two months," she said, removing her hand from his. "But there are some things that might take longer. I have to research something. Something like my father did."

It then hit Rex. "And it could get you killed like he was."

Joseta nodded, finally meeting his gaze. "So you see why I must go."

"Just because I see why doesn't mean I don't like it," Rex said, gulping as he felt his chest tighten. She looked at him in all earnesty as if waiting for him to say something. "You are a great asset to the team," he found himself saying though it killed him to say it. "If you must go, then go."

Disappointment flashed across her eyes, but it was gone as soon as it had appeared. "Goodbye, Rex," she said, standing to her feet. "Please stay in contact."

And she was gone. 

A/N:

Consider this the end of Part 1 in a way. I have a lot of story to unpack so I'm going to take a bit to try to write it well and concisely. 

So, it might be a little bit until I upload again. (BUT ALSO KNOWING ME, IT MIGHT BE SOONER THAN I THINK)