22 | A Seemingly Important Conversation and A Conversation That Saves A Life

22 BBY, Month 10

Rex

Sergeant Hunter must have been off his rocker

Sergeant Hunter must have been off his rocker. Rex's jaw nearly dropped as the long-haired clone trudged over to his table, asking to sit down beside him. Rex didn't know why he said it was okay. He had been genuinely confused at the clone's outburst, and appalled at the audacity and nasty words.

Rex crossed his arms, watching as Hunter sat across from him. Hunter cleared his throat, averting his eyes. There was a certain youthfulness about him that Rex noted. Pity shot through Rex at the recognition. He remembered how quick-tempered he had been when he was first deployed. He had to process through a lot of grief and other emotions while still maintaining skill and professionalism. Hunter obviously needed some work, but Rex could at least forgive the kid.

"What is it, soldier?" he asked, letting out his breath to relieve the pent up stress in his chest.

"I wanted to apologize for my outburst," Hunter said, frowning before he finally met Rex's gaze. "It was rude and I had no reason to get upset. Please forgive me."

"I forgive you," Rex said, clearing his throat. He decided he'd try to help Hunter rather than hold this against him. "I know what it's like."

Hunter met Rex's gaze, his eyes wide as he gulped. "You do?"

Rex nodded. "When I was your age, I dealt with similar things." Rex recalled his temper and how he blew up on Cody and his other friends for no reason. "I think we all go through this."

Hunter furrowed his brows for a moment before nodding. "I guess we do."

"The best thing to do is to address how you feel," Rex said, nodding. He wished someone else had told him this sooner. "Letting it out is often the best thing to do."

Hunter cleared his throat, eyes flickering around the room. "We are talking about the same thing, aren't we?"

Rex tilted his head. "Feelings, right?"

Hunter chuckled. "Yeah," he said with a nod.

"It's not bad to have them, it's just what you do with them," Rex stated, ignoring the strange feeling that he and Hunter were not on the same page.

"But what did you do?" Hunter asked quietly, a sudden shyness washing over him.

"I tried to subdue them and squash them but it only made it worse." Rex leaned forward on the table, hands clasped in front of him. "I recommend acknowledging them and no longer hiding them. It only hurts more when you do."

Hunter nodded. "That makes sense," Hunter said. "That actually helps a lot."

Rex smiled, glad to help Hunter understand his emotions during this time of war. "Anytime you need to talk, I'll be here." Rex closed his fist, shaking it. "The first step is now, Sergeant."