13 | Tablet Chase

22 BBY, Month 9

Rex

Pride filled Rex's being like helium to a balloon

Pride filled Rex's being like helium to a balloon. He had beat Joseta in ping pong. For the third time in a row. The flustered, frustrated look on her face made it all the better. Her lip scrunched, the lines beside her eyes more prominent. Her movements were more exaggerated too. Her long limbs were like a storm—a torrent—aggressively attacking the ping pong ball. But that only made it worse for her. Rex once again made the winning point.

"How are you so good?" Joseta asked, setting the paddle on the ping pong table in defeat. "I've played all throughout the academy."

"You haven't played in the military," Rex said, a smile on his face. He set the paddle on the table as well, looking around at the mess that was strewn across the rec room. The paper plates soaked with garlic butter from the breadsticks sat stacked on the side tables, and a few boxes of games and cards were still out. "Let's get this cleaned up before the boys come back from 79s."

Joseta just nodded, immediately crossing the room to bring a trash bag over to the couches. So in silence they continued to clean up, wordlessly understanding what the other needed.

She kept looking over at him, biting the gums inside of her mouth. He knew that look.

"What is it?" he asked, taking the trash bag from her hands.

"Well, I was wondering why you don't go to 79s with the boys," she said, meeting his gaze. "Rylann told me that Cody told her that you used to go."

Rex's nose twitched. He'd have to tell Cody to mind his own business. "Before the work got in the way."

Joseta sighed, crossing her arms over her chest. "Be honest, is my system working?" she asked, following after him as he threw the trash bag into the trash chute. "I know it works well for me, but if you need it undone or adjusted—"

"It works fine," Rex interrupted, placing a hand on her shoulder. "I just got caught up in the editing phase for too long."

Joseta was quiet as she chewed her gums again. "Do you need me to edit them for you? I was top of my class in writing."

Rex removed his hand from her shoulder, clearing his throat. "I mean, I can do it—"

Joseta shot him a look that made him wonder if mothers made it to their children. "Is your paperwork getting in the way of your rest and enjoyment of life?"

"Well—"

"Just answer yes or no."

"Yes, it gets in the way," Rex admitted, averting his eyes.

"Then it's easy!" Joseta said, bouncing between her feet. She then pointed to Rex with finger guns. "I'll help you!"

"But you surely don't have the time—"