11 | Clone Force 99

22 BBY, Month 9

Rex

Anakin tapped his foot in an agonizing pattern as he waited with Rex outside the Council Room

Anakin tapped his foot in an agonizing pattern as he waited with Rex outside the Council Room. If Anakin continued his tapping for one more moment, Rex felt like he was going to go crazy. He loved Anakin as a brother, but sometimes he annoyed him like one, too.

And the war was getting to him. Rex was really starting to feel the stress, the lack of sleep, the nightmares. He shuddered. Rex just wanted a week to himself. Maybe a cabin on the beach. Maybe some solitude. That'd be nice.

The doors to the Council Room slid open, revealing General Kenobi, General Ti, and General Windu. The trio walked out, muttering to each other under their breaths.

Anakin immediately joined their side. "What is going on?"

"Padawan Tetra has been targeted by a rogue Mandalorian group and an attempt has been made on her life," Windu stated, brushing past the group. Rex blinked in shock at the news. He had heard of senators getting targeted but not jedi.

"Rice?" Anakin asked, eyes wide as he let out a whistle. "So, the shorty made some enemies."

"This is no joking matter, Anakin," General Kenobi said, shooting his former padawan a look that shut him up. "Rylann is recovering from being tranquilized and there is a larger plot to be uncovered, I'm sure of it."

Anakin nodded, scratching his chin. "Sorry, Obi."

Rex sighed, looking at the female togruta who still remained quiet. "General Ti, do you need me to send a squad to protect Commander Tetra?" Either the Domino twins or the Crest Squadron would work fine. He knew most of both groups knew Rylann from Kamino.

"That will not be necessary, Captain Rex, but thank you," Shaak Ti stated, shooting him a smile. "I have designated Clone Force 99 to be Rylann's bodyguards."

The name rang a bell in Rex's mind. He vaguely remembered reading a document about her leading it when she would graduate. "Alright, as long as Commander Tetra is safe."

Shaak Ti paused, squinting her eyes in thought. "Captain Rex, would you mind housing the clone force in the 501st Barracks in the Resolute?"

Rex's eyes widened. He knew that the "Sad Batch" as his brothers called them were not as kind to the normal clones. But before he could do anything, the general before him chuckled.

"They already are acquainted with Brody and Giggles of the Crest Squadron if you want to put them with them," Shaak Ti said. Rex wasn't sure how well they knew the two. Most people that knew Brody would either join his antics or hate him for them. And Giggles the Only Sane One was gone for ARC training. But the Jedi seemed to read his mind. "Brody was the one who designed their armor, while Giggles is a friend of Rylann's which inherently would be their friends, too."