23 | A Strange Turn of Events

22 BBY, Month 10

Rex

Rex must have drank too much because his gut was burning a lot

Rex must have drank too much because his gut was burning a lot. Jesse was telling him some ridiculous story that was no doubt exaggerated, but Rex couldn't focus on his friend's tall tale. His eyes kept drifting back to Joseta who was dancing with Hunter, laughing as she did some stupid, but fun, dance.

Well, there went the burning in his gut again. Breathing out sharply through his nose, he stood to his feet, pushing his glass away from him. No more of that, I guess, he thought, pushing his chair back in with a screech. "Jesse, can you watch Joseta's water for me?"

Jesse stopped mid-sentence, blinking. "Is that why you haven't been having fun? And here I was thinking you were sitting down because you were bored."

"I promised Joseta that I wouldn't let the drink out of my sight, but I think I need to use the restroom."

"I'll watch Sergeant Pro'oz's drink for you," Jesse said, saluting him. "You can trust me."

"We'll see," Rex muttered, shuffling through the crowd to the restroom. He fought with his will, wanting to glance Joseta's way, but pushed it away. He needed to get to the restroom to figure out why he was feeling so strange.

He washed his hands, staring at himself in the mirror. His hair was growing out thanks to the long time on the field. He sighed, rubbing his face in his hands. He hated his hair. It had caused him a lot of trouble as a cadet from some of his superiors and brothers.

Curly, blond hair. When he was a cadet, he used to grow it out but his brothers always called him Rexpunzel and he hated that. Thus the buzz cut. The only way he could tame his hair.

Rex wetted a paper towel, wiping his face. He still didn't feel too good, but as time went on, he didn't think it was his alcohol. His head didn't feel buzzed at all.

With a heavy sigh, Rex exited the bathroom to see Joseta and Hunter through the crowd, dancing to a slow song? Slow-dancing?

Rex's gut burned furiously. Why was he so angry? Joseta had every right to dance with whoever, but with the guy that just yelled at him? Was the sergeant clone really interested in Jos that way? A lump formed in Rex's throat at the thought.

He found his legs bringing him closer and closer to the pair. What was he going to do? No clue. Dance? That was laughable. Rex didn't dance. But here he was, gliding over to Joseta and Hunter to break up their dance for no apparent reason.

Before he could near them, the doors flung open and police flooded into the room. Well, that was unexpected, but it seemed to do the job. Hunter and Joseta were no longer holding hands, instead watching the scene unfold before them. The goggled one of the batch, Tech, Rex believed was his name, was slammed into an arcade machine and arrested on the spot. Rex didn't know what he did, but it was apparently enough for three officers to come and get him.