13: The Painful Truth Pt. 1

"Elena," he called out with a broken voice.

"Hmm?" I answered, still hugging.

"I don't want to let you go, not again."

Again?

"I miss you."

I froze. I pulled back to look at him. I saw tears pooling in his eyes. Furrowing my eyebrows, I took a step back and watched as a single tear rolled down his cheek. I tilted my head. He lowered his head.

Tears continuously rolled down his cheeks. I grabbed his chin and raised his head so he could face me. I walked closer to him and wiped his tears with my thumb.

Who hurt such a nice man like you?

I'll kill them!!

Wait, what?

Ignoring my thoughts, I looked into his sad eyes and smiled a little.

"What did you mean when you said you missed me?" I asked softly. He pulled away from my grasp and stood straight. He looked away.

"You wouldn't understand." He suddenly became cold.

"Ethan, if you want me to help you, you have to tell me. I don't want to see you hurt." I hiccupped and pouted, trying to stop the tears that formed in my eyes. I didn't even know why I was crying.

He turned to look at me and I saw his eyes soften.

I covered my mouth to stop the hiccup. Tears streamed down my face.

"Ethan...please...tell me. I don't...want to see you sad," I said in between my hiccups. He panicked and held me by my shoulders.

Suddenly, a loud thunder boomed in the sky which caused me to jolt in fear. I wrapped my arms around Ethan's torso and placed my head on his chest, crying.

"Are you scared of thunder?" he asked, being concerned for me. I nodded. He smiled.

He pulled away. "We should get inside. It's gonna rain anytime soon."

I shook my head. "NO!! I'm not gonna let you go until you tell me what's wrong!"

I was willing to risk my life for him. I don't even know why.

He sighed. "Elena, we'll talk about it inside."