Chapter 26 (Final)

The Deepstone cuffs clamped coldly around Clouse's wrists. The Mage sat on the thin bed inside his dungeon cell, staring down at his hands in anger. He couldn't use his magic. But that wasn't going to stop him.

His enemies couldn't do this to him. He wouldn't stand by it. He wasn't finished with them yet.

He knew he couldn't count on help from the Dark Lord. He didn't exactly know what had happened in the interrogation room. Maybe he had done something to upset his master. He wasn't sure, but it didn't matter. He would show the Dark Lord he still needed him. He couldn't throw the Mage to the side. And Clouse was going to prove it.

He only needed an opening.

Clatter came from outside his cell.

Clouse raised his head, listening. There were loud footsteps and multiple grunts. It sounded as if someone was breaking through the guards around his cell. Furrowing his eyebrows, Clouse rose to his feet. That wasn't the Dark Lord. No, he would never be that obvious.

He heard the key unlock his door. Clouse watched as it opened, and a jolt of alarm hit him as the person walked in.

It was Kai.

The Mage blinked at the ninja, confused. "I think you have the wrong cell," he croaked.

"Keep your voice down," Kai hissed at him. He closed the door behind him and stuffed the key in his pocket.

Clouse twirled his mustache as the ninja came closer. "To what do I owe the pleasure, ninja?" he murmured.

Kai stared at him for a moment, as if making sure he was really going to do this. "You can make spells, right?" he asked.

Clouse raised an eyebrow. "I think that's now well-known of me," he answered.

"Can you do a protection spell?" Kai blurted out.

A smirk crossed Clouse's face. Yes... this was just the opening he'd needed. "I think the question you should be asking is not can I do it, but will I do it?" he cooed.

Kai straightened up as the Mage circled around him.

"You want me to protect your little princess, don't you?" Clouse pressed. "That desperate love you have for her can be dangerous. Already, look at you, coming to me for help." He chuckled. "And is all of this just to win her heart?"

Clenching his fists, Kai spun to face him. "Will you do it or not?" he demanded.

Clouse pretended to think. "You know... it's not common for someone like me to help a ninja like you. It's quite risky even. Throwing magic around like that without having much of a cause, at least for me..."

Kai gritted his teeth. He knew what the Mage meant. "What do you want, Clouse?" he questioned. "I'm not letting you out of here, if that's what you think."

Clouse smirked again. "No, I can do that on my own," he said, "given a bit of time."

Kai stared at him skeptically, but he continued speaking. "There's something I've had my eye on."

"What is it?" the ninja huffed.

"Nothing you need to concern yourself with," Clouse assured him. "In fact, it's something you don't even particularly like. It'll mean nothing to you to give it up."

Kai swallowed, suddenly hating the situation he'd gotten himself into. "Keep talking," he told him.

"We'll consider it a deal," Clouse went on. "I'll cast your spell, and whenever the time comes, whether that be tomorrow or ten years from now, you give me what I want."