Chapter 38 | Part 1

⋰ Timothy⋰

I groan as I feel a cold hand manipulating my arm, shrugging off the touch.

I feel like I've been hit by a train. My head is pounding like crazy, my body couldn't feel heavier, and I'm so fed up with laying on this bed with my eyes closed, waiting for sleep that doesn't fucking come.

I'm fucking tired too, so much that my eyes throb, but if the back of my brain didn't sting each time I move upright, if my stomach didn't twist in protest, I would have gotten up and stretched my legs a long time ago.

Fuck this bed, fuck this hospital room.

The cold hand of the nurse tries another time to wrap something around my arm and I give in, balling my hands into fists.

The dim lighting of the room, the faint scent of essential oil and the cold air mixed with the warm blankets should be relaxing.

I'm anything but relaxed.

I know the private room, my parents have been renting it for years. Behind the curtains delimiting the large bedroom I'm in, there is a modern living room in shades of light gray and wood. There are colorful paintings on the walls, a tiny fridge in a corner and a night blue door leading to a small bathroom.

That's where my family must be, apart from my mother currently standing next to the nurse. She thanks her with a nod of her head, before turning to me, worried eyes softening.

She sighs. "You know you have to get some sleep, Timmy. Stop fighting it and try to rest." It's obvious by the closed hands at her sides, she wants to give some comforting touch, squeeze my arm, caress my cheek, but she knows better. I don't like being touched when I don't initiate it, and even less right now, when I can't think of anything else except from what feels like shards in my forehead.

"Are you sure you don't want to laydown completely?" She points to the remote of the bed, the back of it being raised so I'm half sat up.

I give her a stern look. "I'm not tired." That's all I have the will to gather energy for.

I am tired but sleep is so far away, so foreign that trying to sleep once again will only get me more annoyed. She sighs and shakes her head, handing me my phone before disappearing behind the curtains.

I unlock it, scrolling through the messages without registering much.

Brian: You're a dumb motherfucker.

Brian: A huge idiot.

Brian: A moron, really.

It goes on and on and all of the messages are hours apart. I glare at the screen, keeping myself from breaking the brand new phone.

I want to see my girl, I long for Elsie's voice, her warmth in my arms. It's almost the only thing in my mind, the reasons why I can't are driving me crazy and this asshole is rubbing it in my face.

Yet, it only takes a few more hours of laying in silence, eyes open, arms crossed before I yield. Another few hours later, I'm trying once again, my throbbing temples buried in a pillow when I hear Vet's steps.

This is my opportunity. The discomfort in my head is almost too much so I just look up to check it's her before resting my head back in the material.

I know she's busy because of what happened. She starts to speak but I don't register. I just grumble, my voice muffled. "Bring Elsie. Please."

■□■

⋰ Elsie⋰

It's been a day and a half and I'm not feeling any better about anything. And I have hell of a problem focusing.