Chapter 28: Timothy

*Warning: This chapter is long as hell.*

Elsie looks at me confused but still steps forward. Good girl.

I grab her hand and gently tug her to me, turning her so her back is to my front. My arms find their way around her middle on instinct, one hand caressing her waist. I set my chin on the top of her head, relishing in the feeling of her body squeezed against me.

"Uh?" She asks, unsure.

"Just showing those people I know how to hug." I say, raising an eyebrow at my parents and Vet who look flabbergasted.

Sunnish lets out a chuckle. "Okay."

I smile, still feeling her rigid as hell. I can understand why. Even if there wasn't the way my parents look at her, like they expect her to bite someone's head off any second, she doesn't know them, which means most of her walls are still up.

So I can understand. That doesn't mean I like it.

I look back at Vet, who's gazing at Elsie like my girl is a wizard because of the ay I hug her. I grin at my sister. "See, I know how to hug."

At the same time, one of my hands climbs up Sunnish's back and settles at the base of her neck, discreetly massaging the spot. Her hands immediately grip the one resting on her belly, silently telling me to stop.

"How did you..." Vet closes her mouth, quickly recovering from the shock and back at being sarcastic. "Of course, you're such a show off you would shortly swallow your awkwardness just to prove us wrong. Two more minutes before you cringe away, feral monkey."

Elsie laughs, definitely liking my sister's answers. At the same time, she squirms almost imperceptibly, fighting me but I don't let her move away. I keep massaging that soft spot of hers. She squeezes my hand as a final protest but stops resisting, giving into the feeling. I can feel her muscles relax ever so slightly against me, still tense.

I smile and kiss the back of Sunnish's head, murmuring so only she can hear. "Good. Relax."

She shivers a little. I chuckle. "You said two minutes, Vet? Is that a bet?"

Violet rolls her eyes. "No. Your ass is too stubborn to give up and unlike you, I fucking know how make good investments."

I scowl. "If you're so smart, can you tell me how the fuck we're related again?"

"Children, will you stop cursing..." My father facepalms, both my parents giving up and heading toward the kitchen instead.

She shrugs unapologetically. "It's simple, we're not. You were adopted."

"I beg to differ. That would have been a much more pleasant first meeting." My mother says from the kitchen, the buzzing of the coffee maker slightly covering her voice.

"Maybe I was." I shrug. "At least they chose me. You're an inconvenience they can't get rid of because of their morals."

A satisfied smile graces her lips. She looks at me with genuine surprise. "That was actually a good comeback. You're not as bad as I thought, I taught you well." She walks past us, trying to flick my forehead when I catch her wrist.

I give her a look. "Stop giving yourself all the credit. Even you are not that good."

She just shakes her head, flicking my forehead with her other hand. "Prick." She leaves me rolling my eyes, going to sit at the kitchen table.

Sunnish takes the opportunity and turns around, burying her face into my chest, breathing there for a second, before slipping out of my grip.

She gives me a soft smile and I just want to sweep her off her feet and hold her in my arms. But I know she won't appreciate it, given the circumstances. That's why earlier I opted for a casual hug with just my arms around her waist, nothing too intimate.