Chapter 9: Elsie

Tim releases me, his touch lingering on my shoulder. I avert my eyes, still extremely wary. As much as I want to believe in this truce, Lucifer dressed as an angel is still the devil and generally, Tim doesn't take long before taking off the costume.

I can't believe he held the accusations in my file against me. I felt like I was reliving the hell of my former college, everyone hating me and being despised no matter what I did.

"Kneel." He gently commands.

I look up, frowning before I realize I should obey; the truce is effective. He apologized. Plus, weirdly, I want to please him. As soon as the thought crosses my mind, it revolts me.

Ignoring my embarrassment, I slowly lower myself on the floor, my knees hitting the soft rug. He grazes my hair.

"Position." His voice is deep, harsher.

I feel my cheeks burning. I spread my knees, correct the position of my hands and lower my gaze while arching my back.

"Good girl." He praises, a smile in his voice. This one feels honest and I can't help the feeling of warmth spreading through me. I just want him to say it again and at the same time, take a bath to clear my mind from these emotions.

"Give me the collar." He adds, crouching down in front of me. He takes it from my hand and runs his fingers on my throat. My breath hitch, I'm sure even a colorblind person wouldn't miss my blush. Timothy lifts my hair and slips the collar around my neck. His calm dark-blue eyes land on me while he tightens it, some of his strands falling on his eyes.

At first, the feeling of something pressing on my throat - even slightly - was weird but now that I'm used to it, it's almost reassuring. Almost. I just consider the scrap of paper like jewelry, though.

He stands up, nodding in approval and stretches out and holds out his arm. I hesitate before putting my hand in his warm one. He pulls me to my feet and gives me a brief hug.

"You did well." He smiles at me, still keeping my hand in a comfortingly firm grip on my hand. "Let's go." I frown once again at the warmth the words ignite in my chest but follows him as he walks toward the door.

His kindness confuses me, to say the least. He steps into the corridor, Mr Stanford immediately standing up and giving me a once-over. I hope for his sake that he doesn't play poker because he does a poor job at hiding his dislike. Wait... all things considered, I hope he does play poker.

Tim nods at him.

"It's all sorted. It was self-defense and there will be consequences. That won't happen again."

Consequences?

Stanford arches an eyebrow.

"Are you sure she's obedient? Are you certain you are capable of training her properly?"

I am so tired the only thing that comes to my mind is: "What the hell?"

Tim goes rigid, squeezing my hand to keep me from answering. I still send this director an annoyed look. I can be respectful, but it goes both ways.

"I am sure." Tim confirms.

"Well, as much as I like you, Timothy, I am not so sure myself. Her parents warned me she would be a tough case."

Of course they did.

Stanford shakes his head, his gaze battling with Tim's. "Miss Hall, kneel before your dom."

Excuse you?!

I whip my head toward Tim, outrage spreading through me. Obeying when we're alone is something, kneeling before him on someone else's order in a corridor is another.