Chapter 12: Elsie

The next day passes in exactly the same mood. I can spend more time with Alix, while all the harassment has stopped. Although Alix keeps calling me Elizabeth since she discovered my name is usually a nickname for it — just not in my case.

The only downside is Ward remaining true to himself, aggressive. But even then, the fact that I never look down when he glares at me in the corridors, the fact that I show no sign of unease when he corners me and looks down at me from all his height, puts him out of sorts. It's not someone like Ward who's going to intimidate me and that seems to frustrate the hell out of him.

I just got out of Spanish class — Miss Este-Merat still looks at me like I might rip her head off — when I receive a text from the devil.

Lucifer's disguise 😇: Hurry up

I frown at the screen. I'm on my way home. What should I hurry up for? I just shake my head and quicken my pace.

When I close the front door behind me, I wouldn't say I am panting but... I'd say I am convinced speed walking is a sport. Tim better have a good reason. I climb up the stairs, find our front door unlocked and enter our space. As always, it smells like chocolate and flowers here, don't ask me why.

I quickly throw my bag on my bed and walk to the entrance of his bedroom. The light is on, illuminating the tidy wooden space. Only a few clothes are thrown on the black sheets of the neatly made bed.

"Hello?" I ask tentatively, looking around. As I'm not really inside the room, most of it is hidden by a wall.

"Hey." Tim's deep voice answers. One second, he is nowhere to be seen. Next, he stands in front of me with his messy hair and a movie-star smile on his lips.

I jump, taking a step back. He arches an eyebrow, chuckling. "Laughing at people's misfortune, well done, sir Woods." I scoff playfully. "Is that what I rushed off for?"

Just then, my surprise fades and I notice how he's dressed. Or, more importantly, how he's not wearing a shirt. My eyes stay glued to his bare chest. Not a hint of fat, it's all well-defined muscle. Powerful shoulders, six-pack abs and a well-defined V-line, the bottom of which disappears behind his gray jogging bottoms. This is a masterpiece. I just want to touch and discover if the skin above all this is as soft as it looks.

He chuckles and grabs a white t-shirt. I snap out of my daze, embarrassment washing over me.

"As much as I love watching you admire me, it's cold in here." He smirks.

"Dream on." I retaliate, crossing my arms. Stop talking. Stop talking. "I was... assessing how great the human body is... not yours in particular." I answer, working to keep a straight face.

I take a deep breath as discreetly as possible, keeping myself from blushing as I look him dead in the eye with a confidence I don't feel.

He shakes his head and reaches out to playfully tug at my hair. "Sure. Keep telling yourself that." He whispers, his face inches from mine. My gaze falls on his lips and I quickly look back into his eyes. Why does he have to be so hot? Why is his body this distracting?

He takes a step back, chuckling. "Anyway, Jason, Brian and I are going to the gym. Sarah will join us to complete her pre-game rituals but I'm not sure Alix will be there. Join us?" He asks in an equal voice, although I can see hope in his gray-blue eyes.

"Sure. Sounds nice." I smile.

"Great." Before I can react, he wraps his arms around me and lifts me from the ground. He plants a kiss on my cheek and puts me down.

I feel my cheeks heat, flushing furiously. So much for not blushing. I sure am a lovely shade of tomato right now.

He gives me a knowing smirk that makes me want to slap him and throws his bag over his shoulder. He looks at his watch.