Means to an End

As if to confirm defeat, Pierce and the Velociraptors retreated in a panic.

"Where are they going?" Brooklynn asked. Her arms were still tightly wrapped around Darius's hunched over, shaking form.

"They're afraid," Ben replied.

Darius then broke free of her grasp.

"We gotta help her!"

Brooklynn pulled Darius back hurriedly.

"There's nothing we can do," she muttered, pulling him along. She could hear the sniffles and sobs coming from the boy. The campers took refuge up on the perch, watching as the Spinosaurus and Carnotaurus stalked below. Kon had given Hawkes and his one remaining man new controllers.

Darius forced himself to control the sobs. Until he eventually settled down enough. There were so, so many reasons to cry. Not only because he'd become attached to Big Eatie, being able to communicate with the Tyrannosaurus on a rudimentary level, but out of frustration. And sadness. All these months of surviving, just to lose and fall at the final hurdle. This was it. A final and successful hurrah. They'd save the dinosaurs and finally, finally make it home. But no. Of course it wasn't going to end like that.

"If he's willing to kill Big Eatie, what would he do to us to get that password?" Yasmina questioned.

"Oh, great," Ben groaned. "So, either we stay and face certain death..."

"Or... we leave the island," Brooklynn finished.

Darius pondered it. There was no point. They couldn't save the dinosaurs. They could only stop Kon from harming more.

"Brooklynn's right," he said, standing up. His face was sad, yet serious. "We have to get to the boat."

He understood the shocked looks he was now getting. All this time, ever since their first mission to save dinosaurs from Tiff and Mitch, Darius had been the one insisting they do everything in their power to help these creatures. So, for him to be the one to choose going home instead? It was weird.

"Really? After everything we've been through? We're just throwin' in the towel and leaving the dinosaurs to fend for themselves?" Sammy asked in disbelief. Everybody turned to Darius expectantly. Brooklynn looked straight into his eyes, searching for that light.

"Your light shines bright, Darius Bowman... and I'll follow you anywhere."

"You were the one who taught us all that these animals are worth protecting, that they have to be saved and cherished. You showed us all how amazing they are, that they're no less sentient than us or dogs. All those times when every single one of us was deadset on getting home instead of helping them, you convinced us to help. And we care for them as much as you do, now, Darius," Brooklynn said, taking his hand into both of hers.

Darius looked at her. He thought about it, long and hard. Was there any chance they could save them?

"Whatever it takes, right?" Brooklynn reminded him. Darius's eyes widened ever so slightly. It was a phrase he'd used to rally them all up. Now he needed to hear it. He gathered his courage, and sucked in his shivering breaths, swapping them for assertive ones.

"Alright. We're staying. This is it. After all these months... everything we've been through... this is it. Every single moment on Isla Nublar and here has lead to this. Once we save the dinosaurs, we get onto the boat, and we finally get to Costa Rica."

There were hushed cheers from the others. If not for the fact they were being hunted like crazy, they'd be as loud as ever. Now all that was left was the planning.