30 • Losing Touch

The following day we had gone over the rules as planned. We kept the old ones and I took the liberty to... add a new one.

Professor Snape's face might have fallen a little, but I ignored it to the best of my ability. For I had realised that it was for the best.

We were not to do anything in his private chambers anymore.

With only a couple of months left till graduation, I really needed this to be strictly professional. Following the rules we had set that is. And we had done well in his office the last term, after all.

Yes, remaining clueless was the best choice. Though I couldn't simply ignore what had risen between us, firing up the energy and passion... whatever it was, no, I simply couldn't let it blossom further.

It wasn't right.

-

April came fast. And every student worked hard for the coming exams. Well, most did, anyway.

Snape and I met on mondays for my training, which had developed into learning how to use Legilimency as well. And on fridays we fucked in his office. Compared to that evening in his chambers, we didn't utter a word besides a profanity or two. Unless I asked him to beg for me — something I enjoyed a little too much.

And when our eyes would meet in passing, I simply looked away and made sure my mind was closed and protected. Because we had decided, also, not to converse through Legilimency anymore.

We fell into that routine with ease.

Only, this monday was different.

When the others left for the library and I made my usual way to the professor's office, I found the door slightly ajar.

It wasn't common for Snape to forget to close the door, or to forget anything at all, really. But it was the droplets and specks of blood that alarmed me the most. Naturally.

«Professor Snape?», I called out as I carefully pushed the door open. I didn't know what I'd see, and this was Hogwarts — for crying out loud. There could be a troll... or worse, a gryffindor.

But no one answered.

Maybe I was an idiot to decide to do so, but I followed the trail of blood through his office. Like the most grim story of Hansel and Gretel, and ended up in the door frame to his private chambers.

I stopped there, having decided a month prior to never enter the room again.

«Severus?», I whisper-yelled, but saw nothing besides the little droplets going around the corner.

«Go away», the familiar voice hissed loudly from somewhere I couldn't see. It didn't take long for me to realise he must've been in his bathroom. The only place out of sight.

«Are you hurt?», I asked, peeking inside the room, almost tripping over the treshold doing so.

For a moment he did not reply, but when he did he sounded less angry and more exhausted. «I'm dismissing you today, Leonie», he said, «we'll resume this next monday instead. Now, leave».

Usually I would've been happy to be dismissed, but there was something in his voice that I didn't recognise. And then there was the obvious; the blood.

«I'll go get Madam Pomfrey», I yelled out.

And as I rushed towards the door of his office, it closed itself in front of my face with a loud bang. As if someone slammed it angrily. I stopped immediately in surprise.

«No», he drawled from behind me.

The moment I turned, my heart rushed to my throat, so fast my breath got caught in it. I gasped. «Severus», I breathed, dizziness causing me to nearly fall backwards. It was truly a horrifying sight. «What happened?»