23 • Tea Cup

The sound of the abnormally large clock on the wall was ticking its way into my soul, deeper and deeper, slowly making my patience seep out of my very being.

Trelawney and I shared an intense form of eyecontact as she waited for me to finish my tea. She was undoubtedly getting on my nerves, and I knew the type of bitch I would become the moment the last drop of my patience would finally run out.

«It's hot», I remarked dryly, putting my cup down and clearing my throat, hoping the professor would move on from staring at me.

She nodded, had a sip of her own and wiped her lips with the back of her hand, «indeed», she replied, «Miss Lovegood...»

I sighed at the sudden mentioning of my name, knowing what was coming next was going to be some serious business.

Trelawney looked at me in warning, «I do not see you very often, dear. You know your education is awfully important», she pointed out, «but it pleases me to hear that Severus is guiding you onto the right path. It is smart to listen to your Head of House indeed», she nodded then and had another sip of her tea, slurping a little as she did so. I rolled my eyes. I'd always hated that sound. «Severus can be strict, I know, dear. But you sh-»

«I'm not scared of him», I cut her off and pushed up my sleeves, «I asked for help. It was my own choice, okay? And I am passing your subject, aren't I? So no need for the whole... lecture-shabang-thing-whatever-this-is», I said, waving my hand dismissively, «I'm fine».

Trelawney's head tilted to the side like a curious puppy while glaring at me, and I wanted to punch her glasses for doing it. I knew that look and I did not care for it. Not at all.

The look of sympathy.

«I said I'm fine, don't look at me like that», I snapped, and straightened up in my seat, feeling uncomfortable as she peered into my soul. My thoughts immediately raced. Did she have some type of advance form of Legilimency? One I hadn't heard of? Was it the reasoning behind her powers? Perhaps it was a secret by the Ministry? Goosebumps formed on my skin.

«I see a lot of sadness in your eyes, dear», she pointed her thin finger in my face. My stomach twisted and I felt like throwing my steaming cup of tea straight in her face. But such an action would've probably had me expelled, and I couldn't lose on the finish line of graduation. I'd made it this far, after all.

«None of that, Professor», I warned, «that's not what I came for».

Trelawney sighed as her eyes moved to my cup, still half full. «Do you remember what your leaves said in third year, Miss Lovegood?», she suddenly asked, her voice having softened a little.

I scoffed, «of course not». But I did remember having to swirl it, so the leaves would move. So at least I did that.

She seemed more surprised by my answer than she should've been, I had never cared much for these types of things. The only entertaining part was watching others stress about their messages.

«I see a lot of students, Miss Lovegood. And I cannot remember every student. But something about you-»

I shook my head, «no. I said we're not doing this, okay? I came only for meditation stuff. Let's move on to that».

Her eyes fell on my cup again, and as I let out a sigh of defeat I went to finish it so we could advance further into our tasks. Peering into my cup all I saw was scattered leaves, and nothing that resembled anything. Shrugging my shoulders, I reached out and gave the scrawny professor my cup. «You read it», I said.

With large curious eyes she looked into it, «do you remember how this works, Miss Lovegood?»

«Vaguely», I muttered, «but I don't need a lesson. Just get on with it».