13 • Touch Me

«I need more of the horned toad adrenin secretion», Professor Snape said with his usual deep baritone voice. Normally it would've made me feel something, but after four hours of running around with disgusting ingredients for him — I was more annoyed than anything else.

I groaned in frustration, and I didn't mind if he heard it this time.

«We are working towards avoiding a mass outbreak, Leonie. And you're complaining? Why? Are you tired?», he asked as he carefully and diligently poured a spoon of powdered dragon claw into the potion.

I placed the jar of the horned toad adrenin secretion on the desk and leaned against the desk, causing the jar of the black powder to fall to the ground and break. «Shit», I exclaimed and let out another groan.

Professor Snape straightened up and peered down at me as I attempted to scoop it into my hands.

«Perhaps if you'd just eat it instead — we could avoid another mishap», he pointed out dryly and grabbed his wand from the desk. Lifting it, he mumbled a spell causing the powder to fly into a new jar.

«Excuse me?», I asked as I got up and brushed my hands on my uniform. The powder gathered around my feet like dust.

Snape's face had contorted into the more dissatisfied one, more similar to how he looked during his classes. He put his wand back down, «if you tell me you do not know why I said so, then explain to me how you are still a student at this school?»

I huffed and let out another groan, totally obvious — hoping it would annoy him completely. «Of course I do, it boosts intellect», I pointed out, «my reaction was more linked to the mishap comment, Severus. I haven't eaten since last night, and I am still hungover. You've bossed me around for hours, and nothing I do is good enough».

Snape stared down into the eight boiling cauldron, the deep purple colour reflecting in his onyx eyes. «We do not reward rulebreaking, Leonie. The hangover is your own doing», he spoke slowly, «but if the lack of food is what is slowing you down, making you next to useless, then eat».

I furrowed my eyebrows, «if you think I'll let you fuck me after this using that tone, then you can kiss that wish goodbye», I spat and added a quiet profanity at the end. A plate of food appeared on one of the desks and I approached it quickly, starved for some fatty chicken and some buttery bread.

Snape looked up then, putting the lid on the cauldron so it could boil in peace. «I apologise», he drawled and walked to the next empty one, snapping his fingers for it to begin filling with a dark liquid.

I let out a chuckle and shook my head in disbelief, «you're unbelievable», I muttered before having a bite of a carrot covered in gravy.

«Only if my apology was unlikely to be true», he pointed out quietly as he dropped a peacock feather into his potion, «but I meant it».

I rolled my eyes, despite the fact he couldn't see. «Professor Snape never apologises, let alone mean it if he does — you only said so because you have something to gain. But you forget that I am not dumb, I see what you're doing. That's why I said you're unbelievable», I snapped and let out an exasperated sigh, «Merlin».

«I have never said you're dumb», he pointed out, his voice deep as he concentrated on stirring in the right pace.

«It's not something that always has to be said out loud, your actions speak for you. Besides, I'm pretty sure useless could be a synonym for dumb, or at least carry the same negative point», I said and pulled a yorkshire pudding apart before dipping it in the delicious gravy, «I think you should eat too».