82

With a giggle I turned around, walking to the back door, where Dean was already outside with the dogs surrounding him. He lit up when I exited.

“You ready?” I asked, taking his hand.

“Yup!” he said, before pulling me after him into the woods.

I laughed, following after him. The dogs tagged along, running ahead, but still close.

Dean and I usually went on small walks. Even if it were only for ten minutes. He’d drag me out of bed, work or even the kitchen. He loved being outside more than inside. I struggled to keep him inside, to times where he’d lock himself outside.

Emrys and I had a hard time with Dean, that was true. But Dean was more grateful than ever. He didn’t want toys. He didn’t want fancy food. He didn’t even ask for a father. He barely had questions about things like where he came from, what happened to his grandparents, if he had an aunt, why he didn’t have any siblings, why we stayed alone, where the others came from, where his mind came from, or even what work I did.

Somewhere, deep into the woods, Dean sat down, and I sat down next to him. We sat on the grass, in an open space under some trees. I pulled him to sit on top of my lap, while we looked further into the woods, where in the distance I could see a ledge, showing over the city.

“He really loves you mommy,” Dean said, making me frown.

“I’m sorry, and how do you know that?” I asked, not being bothered at the moment of you he meant.

Dean looked down. “I heard him?”

I turned him to look me into my eyes. “Did he say it, or did you find your way into his mind?” I asked, making Dean sigh.

“I saw it in his mind.”

I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath. “Dean, what did I tell you about this?” I asked, looking into his eyes again.

Dean pouted. “That it is wrong to purposely go into someone’s mind when they didn’t give me permission to. But mommy, then why is it possible for me to do it?”

I sighed. “Well, when I was younger. Many, many years younger. I was in a bad place, where they did bad things to me, and it somehow affected you, many years later. Even though it didn’t affect me, it transferred to you. And it makes you special. You and Tommy and Billy are very special. Aunt Wanda as well.”

Dean looked down. “But why can’t I use my powers?” he asked, making me feel a pain hit my chest.

“Well, it’s not nice to read someone’s mind. Maybe they have secrets that they don’t want others to know, or they are just scared.”

Dean looked me in my eyes. “Like they’re scared that someone found out the like someone? Or they did something bad?”

I smiled and nodded. It suddenly reminded me of Paris, four and a half years ago. I hadn’t meant for the building to set fire; it was an accident. It cost three deaths, one of which included Mavi Silas Kavan. My sister. A tear fell down my cheek, but quickly Dean wiped it away.

“Don’t cry mommy. Aunt Mavi was an accident.” I suddenly lost my small smile, which made Dean realize what he said. “I’m sorry! I didn’t-”

“When we get back, you’re grounded,” I said, making him pout in anger.

A chuckle escaped my lips, making him give a soft smile, knowing I wasn’t that mad at him. I wrapped him tighter to me, making him laugh as I started tickling him. His laughter echoed through the woods, and it was easily heard from the cabin.

Outside, behind the house, Everyone sat, suddenly smiling as they heard the high-pitched laughter of Dean echo.

“Did Mavi know?” Nat asked as she looked at Emrys.

He smiled softly. “She did, yes.” Natasha sighed, looking down. “It was really not Melion, you should know that.”

Natasha looked at Emrys, seeing his eyes already on her, pain, and sorrow in them.

“She had nothing to do with it. Mavi was the closest persons she ever had. Losing her almost caused Melion to have a miscarriage. Someone else set off the bomb in the apartment building. Not us.”

Bucky frowned. “Then why doesn’t she come forward with it?” he asked as he rested his arms on his legs.

Emrys sighed. “She blames herself for not being able to save Mavi. She blames herself from not stopping this man who set off the bomb.”

“So, you know who did it?” Nat asked, looking curious.

Emrys nodded his head. “Baron knew the guy. His father set this man after Mavi, knowing Melion was going to see her. He waited for us to arrive, then boom. The place exploded.”

Carol closed her eyes as she cupped her mouth, pinching her nose shut. She looked close to nausea.

“God,” Sam said, placing his hand on Carol’s back.

“And what did happen to Baron?” Bucky asked, trying to hide the pain.

Emrys looked at him. “You’ll have to ask Melion. It’s not my place.” Natasha and Bucky looked at each other, both suddenly worried. That didn’t sound quite innocent. “She’s done awful things,” Emrys said, grabbing their attention again. “Maybe you’d know that she killed Baron’s brother when she was at Hydra, or the way she had ran away, but she lost her sympathy years ago. Now she just doesn’t care about many things and many people anymore. She’ll do anything to keep her family safe, leaving her with no remorse.”

Bucky sighed. “But she’s still our family, so we’ll help her through as much as we can.”

Carol cleared her throat, before looking up. Suddenly she made eye contact with me as Dean, and I exited the woods. The dogs ran ahead of us, making everyone notice our approach. Everyone smiled, making me smile.