79

{Third-person}

Bucky entered the living room, seeing Emrys sit on the couch, watching the fire crackle.

Carefully Bucky sat down on the other end of the couch, with his coffee warming up his hands.

“She’s been a mess, you know,” Emrys said, confusing Bucky. “Ever since she, Baron and I left New York City, she’s been paranoid, depressed, in pain. She didn’t dare set herself in danger while she was pregnant with Dean, but knowing that Steve, and you all betrayed her, just failed her trust system. It took months to convince her that I was not working for Hydra, or Shield, or even Baron.”

Bucky sighed, resting his arms on his legs. “They didn’t do anything actually. They refused to sign the contracts.”

Emrys looked at him, before looking back at the fire. After a few seconds of silence, he said, “She loved you.”

That caused Bucky’s curiosity to spike. “What?” he asked in surprise.

“She loved you. Like truly fell in love with you.” He looked at Bucky, seeing his eyes focused on his words.

“How- how do you know that?” Bucky asked curiously.

Emrys looked back at the fire. “She’d always speak about this family she always had. Before they betrayed her. I always knew it was you guys. I’ve had an eye on her since she returned to New York years ago.” He leaned back on the couch, looking at the ceiling. “She’s always talk about a knight that rescued her. Someone who made her happy, made her feel complete. He was her everything-”

“That could be Steve,” Bucky said, followed by a sigh. He looked at his hands fiddling.

“He saved her from a silent, depressing and lonely bar.” Suddenly Bucky’s eyes looked up again, knowing it was him. “She always spoke about you as someone who was irresistible, catching. She couldn’t get over your eyes, and your laugh. Sometimes she’d just start smiling at the thought of it. It was quite adorable to catch her smiling at times.”

Bucky listened, and as Emrys spoke, he sat up, back against the couch.

“You know, she never knew she was speaking in a love language. She just thought she was talking, rambling. But I knew she was in love. Deeply, truly in love.”

“I don’t think so. Not the way she looked at Steve when she was locked up.”

Emrys chuckled lightly. “She saw Dean in him. He is the father of her child, so of course she’ll feel as if she has to be attracted to him. But she never really was. She was always addicted to you.”

“You speak in the past tense,” Bucky pointed out, looking at Emrys with worry.

He sighed. “I can’t read her emotions lately. Her facial expressions are harder to read with you and Steve together.”

That’s when a stupid idea popped into Bucky’s head. “What if I manage to speak alone with her?” he asked, causing Emrys to look at him in wonder. “It’s just an idea.”

Emrys sighed. “She’s going to kill me,” he said, rubbing his forehead. “So yeah. Sure.”

A small smile spread on Bucky’s lips.