76

I looked away.

“What?” he asked, frowning.

I sighed. “Sharon, was it?”

Steve fell silent, knowing what I ment. I knew they were something, and to know that he wasn’t denying it was quite painful. I took a deep breath.

“I saw the way she looked at you. I used to look at you that way too.” 

Steve shook his head. “No, Sharon and I are just friends. We were on a few missions together. She’s Peggy’s niece.”

He walked closer to me, putting his arms on my shoulders. I looked up, meeting his eyes.

“Amber, please. I want you again. I want to get to know my son-”

“And you will.” I looked at him, giving a soft smile. “I can’t stop you from knowing our child. You can, really. Just know that he always had a father figure, Emrys. And he has never asked about you.”

Without waiting for him to respond I walked past him out of the lab. I found myself walking to the kitchen and pouring some coffee. With the flick of my wrist the screen popped up again, showing the portal designs.

I needed to tweak on a few things, but first I had to make sure I wouldn’t miss anything. I tilted my wrist lightly to the left, swiping left, and slightly right to swipe right. I looked at the design of the materials, making sure I wasn’t mixing two substances that should not be mixed.

Without checking, I took a sip of my coffee, spitting it out onto my clothes. At the exact same moment Bucky entered the room. He immediately noticed the steaming hot decaf coffee spread on my dark-green shirt. I turned my wrist around completely as I was in panic, switching off the screen. I looked down, blowing on my burning screen.

Bucky jumped forward, pulling the shirt away from my skin as I blew on it. He pulled me into the kitchen, behind the sink, where he grabbed the bottom of the shirt and pulled it up, over my head and throwing it in the sink, immediately pouring water over it. I froze.
Bucky grabbed a cloth, putting under the cold water before pressing it against my skin. My chest. Without realizing what he was doing, he lightly tapped the cloth on my skin, making sure it slowed the burning.

“James,” I whispered. He met my eyes, seeing me wide-eyed and in shock and confusion.

He looked down, suddenly noticing me stand in a bra, with his hands basically on my breasts. He froze. He heard footsteps behind him and pulled his hand away. Turning around he saw Samuel, causing him to jump in front of me.

Sam frowned. “You two good?” he asked, stopping at the door.

Bucky gave Sam some sort of look. “She’s, uh, topless Sam. Maybe later?” Bucky said, his teeth pressed together.

Immediately Sam understood and walked off, saying, “sorry for the disturbance,” as he exited.

Bucky turned back around to me, seeing me still frozen.

“Is it, uh, better?” he coughed, trying not to look down at me.

He was looking over my head at the cupboards behind him.
My eyes were forward; I had completely froze where I stood.

“Mhm,” I said softly, but loud enough for him to hear.

I turned around, walking around the counters without saying anything else. I walked out of the kitchen up the stairs and into my bedroom, shutting the door behind me.