Chapter 125: Second Battle of Tumbleton (Part 1)

The Riverlands ― Maidenpool...

Following his victory over Aemond at Harrenhal and subsequent retreat, Jaehaerys replenished his supplies at Duskendale before making his way to Maidenpool for some much-needed rest. Seeking solace and healing, he immersed himself in the famed Jonquil's Pool, whose waters are said to be blessed with healing properties. The skilled hands of a healer had already tended to his wounds, stitching up the gashes on his left leg and right shoulder to the elbow. Emerging from the rejuvenating pool, the Silver Dragon pondered his next move. Aegon and Nettles were still embroiled in a fierce military campaign against the Baratheon forces in the Stormlands. At the same time, Aemma had been dispatched to the Westerlands to force House Lannister into submission. Meanwhile, Viserys and cousin Lucerys had flown to Tumbleton to rescue the town from an unknown threat. As Jaehaerys changed into fresh attire, he inadvertently overheard a conversation between two House Mooton scouts in an adjacent room nearby.

"Did you hear, Tarik? The Caltrops are on the verge of total collapse. They say the war's over."

"Seven hells, so long as one of those lads is still standing, the war's not over."

"But the Westerlands and those Lannister cunts have already surrendered. I heard Princess Aemma played a huge role."

"She's a Targaryen and a dragonrider, Lucan. Of course, it'd be a fool's errand to go against a dragon-a big one, in fact."

"Silverwing's no Vhagar, Tarik."

"No, but Good Queen Alysanne's dragon stood up to Vhagar at Rook's Rest long enough for help to arrive. But that's not all I've heard. The Red Kraken's being a little defiant, even though the Lannisters already surrendered."

"You can never trust a Greyjoy or any ironborn from those blasted islands to do what anyone says! Do you know why? Because they're not trustworthy!"

Jaehaerys was fully engrossed in the conversation, hanging on to every word and absorbing all the gossip that was being shared. Aemma's defeated the Lannisters, yet Dalton Greyjoy won't back down? He was well aware that the Red Kraken was known for being bold, ruthless, and cunning, determined to bring back the ancient practices that had been banned by his ancestor, Aegon the Conqueror, during his conquest of Westeros. Despite their defeat and restriction to the Iron Islands, the ironborn were far from submissive. They yearned for the days of old, when their longships ruled the seas, and their reaving brought them glory and riches. The prohibition on their customs only served to fuel their desire to reclaim their former power not seen since King Harren Hoare. Raiding, looting, and plundering were not just acts of violence for Dalton, but a way of life that he believed was his birthright. Their reversion to their age-old traditions would mean a return to the days of constant raids along the western coast, with innocent villages and towns falling victim to their brutal attacks. No. House Targaryen banned such savage customs for a reason. Lord Dalton wouldn't dare.

Before he could move, the scouts spoke more.

"What else did you hear?" Lucan inquired.

"Well," Tarik murmured, "one of my cousins is in the army. Last I heard, Prince Aegon has the Baratheons bogged down in a nasty ground war. I'm told one of the dragonseeds is helping him."

"A bastard? Interesting. I thought Prince Aegon was overseeing her."

"No, that's his twin, Prince Viserys. He's gone to Tumbleton with one of Princess Rhaenyra's sons. Apparently, there's some strange activity going on there, but I'm told it's a rumor."

Jaehaerys tensed up slightly, refraining from making any noise that would give him away. However, the rumors he was eavesdropping on, even if they turned out to be unfounded, could not be disregarded so easily. Considering his brothers, sister, and one of his cousins scattered across different regions of the realm, the Silver Dragon couldn't be in multiple places at once. Nevertheless, he understood the importance of their individual growth and independence. Jaehaerys had entrusted Aegon and Nettles with dealing with Borros Baratheon and capturing Storm's End. He had assigned Aemma to handle Casterly Rock. However, Tumbleton remained a mystery to him. It may have been a minor inconvenience for some, but it left Jaehaerys with a knot in his gut. He couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. Very, very wrong...