Chapter 20: Second of Their Names

YEAR 115 AC

YEAR 115 AC

Red Keep ― Gardens...

It's been almost two years since King Viserys wed Beatrice Peake and welcomed the birth of a second son, Prince Aegon. Moreso the royal court also welcomed the king's first grandchild, Prince Jaehaerys. The two were the same age, yet only one week apart. Although Viserys tried to rotate his time to spend more time with his ever-growing family as fairly as he could, he could help but be a bit more spoiled with his grandson. So when preparations have been made to depart on a grand hunt in the kingswood, Viserys was more than happy to leave politics behind him and spend time with his family.

"He has your hair, Your Grace," a courtier mentioned, pointing to Aegon who was held by his mother Beatrice, babbling whilst holding onto one of his toys.

"He does have my hair," Viserys chuckled.

"He has your eyes, Your Grace."

"Yes, he does. And he has my nose too, doesn't he?"

Beatrice, now heavily pregnant with her second child, basked in the luminous glow the royal court was giving to Aegon, and, to her as well. For her, this was her day. Glorious, radiant, perfect in almost every way. Without the competition impeding her path in her pursuit, Beatrice would cement House Peake's rise to power within the Targaryen dynasty. She dreamt that one day she sat on the Iron Throne, high above them all whispering into her son's ear. The courtiers were brightly colored mice below. Great lords and proud ladies knelt before her. Bold young knights laid their swords at her feet and pleaded for her favors, and the queen smiled down at them.

"Your Grace," one of the stewards arrived. "Lady Alicent and her family have arrived."

Viserys turned happily to see his daughter-in-law enter. Beatrice, however, quickly turned sour when the attention was shifted away from Aegon again. The Queen maintained an outward image of an ideal consort, but she retained an envious gaze at those she considered a threat to her plans. How dare you mock me and ruin everything, you little brat. I am the Queen.

"Good morning, Your Grace," Alicent gracefully curtsied. Having entered the royal family through her marriage to Aeonar, she wore a red patterned gown with a touch of geometric black stripes along the waistline. The neckline was square with gold embroidery that looks like a dragon with dragon claps at the waistline but has a fabric element that goes over the shoulders almost like a collar and tapers as it goes down the bodice with a dark gold color. Her sleeves were in two layers with the outer being three-quarters, in angel shape with embroidery.

"Come now, Alicent. You are family now. No need to be formal with me today." Viserys approached and his smile beamed when he saw Jaehaerys. "Where is he? Where is my grandson?" he cooed, poking his grandson's little nose. "By the gods, he's getting so big. Look at you. Two years old by tomorrow morning. You look so much like your father when he was your age."