Chapter 48: Animosity and Resentment

King's Landing ― Dragonpit...

Deep within the domed structure atop the Hill of Rhaenys, the Dragonpit housed the Targaryen dragons in each catacomb – tamed or yet to be claimed by a rider. Today was another day of routine training for the Targaryen princes to strengthen their bonds with each of their respective dragons under the close supervision of the Dragonkeepers.

Prince Aegon the Elder – now a thirteen-year-old, grew to the same height as Prince Jaehaerys. However, unlike his nephew, he proved to be a lazy, bratty irresponsible teenager whose refusal to behave as a prince under proper protocol soon earned the ire and scorn of those around him. But the elder Aegon didn't mind. He did whatever he wanted without a care in the world. And today was one of those days. Joined by his younger nephews Aegon the Younger, Viserys, Daeron, Jacaerys, and Lucerys, he was to bear witness to the events planned for his younger brother, Prince Aemond. Being the only one without a dragon of his own, he patiently waited for his nephews' boring lessons to be over so they could begin the ceremony.

"Rȳbās! Dohaerās, Korksys! (Serve! Obey, Corxes!)" Aegon the Younger commanded.

Corxes chirped and crouched down, easing himself into a submissive stance.

"Sȳrī. (Well done.)" one of the Dragonkeeper elders congratulated visibly pleased. "Dārilaros Viserys, ao sīr. (Now you, Prince Viserys.)" he instructed.

Viserys cleared his throat. "Dohaerās, Melex! (Serve, Maelyx!)" he commanded.

Like his kin, Maelyx chirped a high-pitched draconic grumble and crouched.

"Sȳrī. Dārilaros Daeron. (Well done. Prince Daeron.)"

Daeron stared at his dragon Gaemon. Along with Vermax, Gaemon was already proving to be an ill-tempered dragon with a fiery attitude, mirroring his young rider. As soon as he felt the chains releasing their hold on him, Gaemon began growling aggressively. "Dohaerās! (Serve!)" he commanded. When Gaemon didn't respond, the prince shouted more firmly and aggressively. "Vestan kelīs, Gaemon! (I said halt, Gaemon!)" he repeated.

Gaemon, once feeling the dominating aura emanating from Daeron, lowered his dorsal spines and crouched, assuming a submissive stance.

The Dragonkeeper elder shook his head. "Ugh... Ao jorrāelagon tolī gūrēñare. (You need more training.)" he sighed. "Maghon hembar. (Bring out the next one.)"

Jacaerys leaned intently as two more Dragonkeepers escorted Vermax to the surface. Now a juvenile dragon the size of a small horse – measuring between 10-12 feet long – with olive-green scales and pale orange membranes in his wings, Vermax grew equal to Corxes, Maelyx, and Gaemon in terms of overall size. But like Gaemon, he was ill-tempered as he snapped at the chains holding him.

"Umbās! Umbās! (Hold! Hold!)" said a Dragonkeeper warder.

"Zijot māzigon. (Let him come.)"

Aegon the Elder yawned bored out of his mind. Yes, yes. Come on, get it over with already.

"*Reeeee!*" Vermax screeched. Once the Dragonkeepers released his chains, his yellow-slitted eyes darted from one corner of the room to the other before turning his gaze towards Jacaerys. "*Grrrrr!*" Grumbling a high-pitched growl, the juvenile dragon slowly made his way to the royal children as if he were stalking his next prey.

"Call Vermax to heel, Prince Jacaerys," one of the female Dragonkeepers instructed.

Jacaerys nodded. "Dohaerās! (Serve!)" he commanded. Vermax got close to his rider, stood upright, and sniffed him closely. The juvenile dragon shrieked, causing the prince to slightly jump back. "Kelīs! (Halt!)" he repeated.