Chapter 72: Trouble on the Homefront (Part 2)

Red Keep ― Tower of the Hand...

"Our esteemed guests are on their way to the capital in droves, and once everyone is accounted for, we will begin the court proceedings after concluding our business in these petitions," Viserys informed his parents. "Afterward, I'm afraid the crown must make a formal decision regarding the ongoing border dispute between House Bracken and House Blackwood in the Riverlands. Once settled, we must address Lord Rogar Reyne's inquiry into the silver mines near the Crag. From what I understand, both sides claim ownership of those mines and will not relent."

"We thank you for your report, Viserys," Alicent said.

Beatrice, on the other hand, remained visibly silent. Her left hand wrapped around her neck, and a visible handprint lay, indicating she had been choked roughly. The queen raised her collar to hide the bruising. However, the damage inflicted occurred years ago after the Driftmark incident. For threatening Alicent Hightower and stabbing the heir to the Iron Throne, Aeonar punished Beatrice by having her right hand cut off. And once he heard what the queen had said about their stillborn daughter Alaena, the Young Dragon strangled her to nearly crushing her windpipe, only releasing her when Alicent insisted Beatrice had been punished enough. All that remained was a stump, hidden beneath her long-sleeved orange dress and a sore throat.

"There's something more. Father, mother. I'm told aunt Rhaenyra has arrived earlier than expected," Viserys said.

Aeonar had his index finger pointing vertically against his cheek while his thumb rested beneath his chin. She intends to oppose Ser Vaemond's claim to Driftmark and advocate for her son, Jace. "I already know that," he said.

"You knew?"

"I've been a spymaster for twenty-two years before becoming Hand, son."

"Ah. Of course. Dumb question."

Beatrice had something on her mind. However, the queen's expression quickly turned sour when Aeonar's eyes shifted toward her, and she made a beeline for the exit. But just as she was about to leave, Aeonar's voice rang out, calling her name.

"The next time you insult my wife or make another derogatory statement about our Alaena, you'll lose more than just a hand," Aeonar threatened.

As Beatrice heard the warning, her body went rigid. She couldn't shake the chills that ran up and down her spine. "Just make yourself look presentable for the hearing," she croaked out, her voice strained, still sore from the earlier strangulation. With nothing more to add, the queen left.

Viserys watched as the queen scrambled out of the room, only for Rhaenyra and Daemon to enter. "Aunt Rhaenyra. Prince Daemon," he greeted.

"Aegon, was it?" Daemon raised a brow.

"Mm-mmm. Viserys."

"Ah. Can never tell the difference between you two."

Aeonar and Alicent's gazes met with Rhaenyra and Daemon's upon their return to the room after six long years apart; the atmosphere became laden with indescribable anticipation. The four individuals intensely scrutinized each other, taking in every detail of each other's appearance. Rhaenyra's unwavering gaze was firmly fixed on her elder brother, Aeonar. Despite his youthful countenance, at thirty-seven years of age, the deep-set lines of worry etched into his features gave the impression of a far more advanced age. However, it was the way in which he looked at her that caught Rhaenyra's attention the most. Aeonar's eyes lacked any semblance of warmth or familiarity, leaving her with the impression that the brother she once knew was now a mere shadow of his former self. His demeanor was cold, distant, and almost indifferent, leaving her with a palpable sense of unease. The silence in the room was deafening, with the only audible sounds being the deep, steady breaths of the four figures as they stood in a motionless tableau.