Chapter 12: Forging Alliances, Marriage Proposals

Red Keep ― Gardens...

Aeonar leaned on the edge of the garden's ramparts overseeing preparations being made from afar. In his hand was a crumpled-up parchment from one of his chief agents, Farrier, informing the prince of the death of Korban, another one of his spies. Korban had been stationed along the Stepstones along with several dozen but had been captured and executed by Craghas Drahar. Now that one of his own had fallen, as Master of Whisperers, Aeonar – now risen to the position of Lord Confessor - now sought retaliation for the loss of one of his own.

"We've repositioned our brethren in Bloodstone, but we need more assistance from the crown," Farrier reported.

"Which my father will continue to downplay and continue to do nothing," Aeonar said with a hint of frustration. "Very well. If the crown will not act, then I guess we will have to take matters into our own hands. Did the Crabfeeder think we would not be on to him?" He handed over an encrypted message known within his network as classified. "You know what must be done. Move our agents to the following coordinates. And make it very painful for the Triarchy."

"It will be done, my prince."

Farrier left, leaving Aeonar with his thoughts. His blood boiled; his men wanted vengeance for one of their fallen brethren. On the surface, the prince looked composed - but his thoughts tilted towards making the Triarchy pay for their transgressions. Closing his eyes, Aeonar took a deep breath and slowly exhaled to steady himself. This was unpleasant news, but he had to remember his training with the Lykirī Mēre. Besides, he had plans for Alicent in the garden later this evening. Aeonar took painstaking details of what procurements he needed to make it successful; timing and location were essential as well. Right there, underneath their tree. He would be busy for a while, but Aeonar would take time off to spend time with his childhood sweetheart. The prince then faintly heard a dragon's roar in the distance.

Good. That means they are here already.

King's Landing ― Port...

An hour had passed before a dozen ships arrived at the docks. Of all the ships in the Velaryon fleet, there was none finer than the Sea Snake – the personal flagship of Lord Corlys that he designed, built, and captained himself. It was on this ship that he made his famous Nine Voyages, and it was from this ship that he acquired his nickname. The Lord of the Tides arrived by sea, while his wife 'the Queen Who Never Was' came by air on dragonback.

Of all the dragons in the realm, there were very few who were faster than Meleys, the Red Queen. Only Vaelor, the Swiftrunner, slightly edged her out in terms of speed. Measuring 160 feet long and around her eighties, Meleys had scarlet scales and pink membranes on her wings, her crest, horns, and claws were bright as copper. Although old, the Red Queen was still fearsome when roused, cunning, and was no stranger to battle. The large crimson dragon circled the port several times while the Sea Snake docked. Vaelor, gnawing on whale bones, turned upwards and roared at the sky as Meleys flew overhead. Rhaenys landed her mount at the gates of the castle and waited patiently until her husband joined her, then hand in hand they passed through the gates together.

The garrison had been assembled to welcome the Lord and Lady of Driftmark, carrying banners with the sigil of the red three-headed dragon of House Targaryen and the silver seahorse of House Velaryon. In systematic unison, they pounded against the chest plate of their armor in rhythm as the two passed.

Red Keep ― Gardens...

Aeonar leaned against the ramparts, arms crossed, and eyes closed in silent meditation. For what felt like an eternity, he did not move a muscle. The wind calmly blew past him, brushing back a few strands of his silver hair. Before long, the prince reopened his eyes and broke out of his trance. His guests had now arrived.