Chapter 102: Seeds of the Future

*WARNING*: The following content may not be appropriate for certain persons under the age of 18 (depending on the legal age requirements in countries outside the United States) and may contain NSFW material such as strong language, nudity, profanity, and/or sexual themes that some viewers may find offensive. If you are under eighteen, do not view such content. Viewer discretion is advised.

If you are eighteen and up, enjoy!

--------------------------

Red Keep ― Small Council chamber...

"Your Grace. My lord Hand," Farrier spoke up. "I've investigated the rumors surrounding the Triarchy's remnants constructing a large fleet for another invasion. We have collaborated with our undercover agents stationed across the Narrow Sea and verified that the rumors are accurate. By all reports, the Triarchy plans to make their move within a month to six weeks at the earliest before the start of the new year."

"Gods be good; they just don't know when to give up," William exasperated.

"I'm told the Triarchy - or rather, what's left of them - is gathering an armada consisting of 90 warships, mostly comprising of longships along with five war galleys, all of which carry a combined total of over 10,000 corsairs," Corlys reported. "With His Grace's leave, I've sent word to Driftmark. Our fleet is already preparing to set sail when the time is right. Now that their plans have been laid bare, I believe we can turn the element of surprise in our favor and use it against them." With extensive involvement in naval warfare against the Triarchy in the Stepstones on numerous occasions, the Sea Snake's knowledge and expertise proved immense value in what was perceived to be the bloodiest sea battles ever fought. Corlys, revealing a map of the Narrow Sea, strategically marked crucial locations from the Stepstones to the Blackwater Bay. "Based on the reports, the Triarchy will likely aim for the Gullet - to cripple our trade routes on the east coast and beggar out ports."

"Do we know why they're not going through the Stepstones instead?" Alwyn asked.

"Mutiny," Aeonar said with a stern expression on his face, placing pieces on the map. "My sources have informed me that the late Ser Vaemond's sons, Daemion and Daeron, turned their cloaks along with the Silent Five and chose to serve a foreign power instead of remaining in isolation. They bring nothing but shame and disgrace to House Velaryon. Their foolishness knows no limits."

As Corlys gazed upon Aeonar, memories flooded his mind. He recalled Rhaenys' words after he recovered from his blood fever. Vaemond, Corlys' younger brother, had foolishly attempted to press his claim to Driftmark ahead of his grandson and desired heir, Prince Jacaerys. When the crown denied his petition, Vaemond publicly questioned the legitimacy of Rhaenyra's sons before the sick and ailing King Viserys I. The consequences of his actions were swift and brutal. As punishment, Daemon and Aeonar executed Vaemond in a ruthless display, but Aeonar didn't stop there. In a cruel and unforgiving act, he ordered the tongues of Vaemond's five sons to be ripped out as well, punishing them for repeating the same offense. Fearing they would be targeted next, Ser Daemion and Daeron Velaryon promptly fled King's Landing, seeking refuge far from the reach of Aeonar's wrath. However, despite their physical departure from the capital, the resentment and anger towards the Young Dragon's involvement in their family's tragedy lingered within the minds of Ser Daemion and his brother Daeron. They could not simply forget the pain and suffering inflicted upon their kin. This burning desire for justice and vengeance led them to join the Caltrops, seeking vengeance for their father's death.

Otto sat deep in thought, his mind consumed by the potential consequences that could arise from the Caltrops appointing Daemion and Daeron as emissaries to the High Council of Triarchs to forge an alliance with the Triarchy remnants. As he pondered this decision, a part of him couldn't help but wonder if this conflict between the Triarchy remnants and the Blacks would ultimately benefit the Caltrops, who remained quiet as they recovered following the failed battle of Rook's Rest. The Hand of the King firmly believed that they would again go on the move once the Caltrops stabilized their region and rebuilt its military strength. However, Otto thought that Unwin and Aemond would take a different approach and choose a different tactic altogether.