Chapter 21: Grand Hunt (Part 1)

The Crownlands ― Kingswood...

By daybreak, people had begun to awaken. The royal huntsmen, however, were the first to leave their tents with their hounds. Today was the commencement of the grand hunt in the kingswood where knights, lords, and King Viserys were to track down suitable prizes for their respective houses. Since the second nameday of Prince Aegon passed last week, today was also a day of celebration for Viserys's firstborn grandchild, Prince Jaehaerys. In addition, with his brother Daemon and eldest son Aeonar returning from their victorious campaign against the Triarchy in the Stepstones, the king vowed to make this day all about family.

Alicent, upon having sunshine peak through her tent, rubbed her eyes. As she yawned, she saw Aeonar at her bedside with Jaehaerys babbling on his father's shoulder. "Well, there are the two most important men in my life," Alicent yawned. "How did you sleep, darling?"

"I've been up for some time with our son, but yes I slept very well. I've just been watching you sleep," Aeonar replied. He leaned down to kiss his wife on the lips. "Did you know your eyelids flutter whenever you dream?"

"Really? Well, I don't see what you see. Therefore, it must be untrue... or you're simply making fun of me."

"Oh, so on the second day of our reunion, my consort hurls accusations at me?"

Alicent chuckled. "Now I know you're making fun of me," she shook her head with amusement. Rolling out of her cot, Alicent dressed in a comfortable silk gown. "We should probably get moving soon. I hear the hunt is set to begin in a few hours."

Aeonar hummed. "Which means we'll have plenty of time on our hands before then. I'm told the realm's nobility has been requesting an audience with me."

"Then I suppose we mustn't keep them waiting. It would be seen as disrespectful, but more importantly, you should use this opportunity to consolidate and expand your power structure."

"Good idea."

"But don't worry. I'll be with you."

Aeonar nodded and extended his hand, to which Alicent took in hers. As the three emerged from their tent, the campsite was covered in different banners depicting the various houses assembled in the kingswood; Targaryen, Lannister, Hightower, Redwyne, Strong, Darklyn, Buckler, Tarth, Celtigar. To their left, they saw Rhaenyra walking out - overslept, but uncaring. Daemon was nearby, already sharpening Dark Sister in preparation for the grand hunt. But to their right, Aeonar and Alicent noticed Viserys emerging with Beatrice and Aegon. Aeonar had not spoken to his father since his return. Despite the king wishing to interact with his firstborn son, the prince was not interested. Nevertheless, now that the War for the Stepstones was over, Aeonar could redirect his attention more towards his responsibilities as well as his own family.

More nobles began corralling around the royal family, applauding them. Aeonar and Viserys both waved towards the cheering assembly as Otto stood between the king and prince, joining the crowd in clapping his hands ceremoniously.

"Hail, hail Aegon the Conqueror-Babe, Second of His Name!" one of the lords called out.

'Conqueror-Babe'? You seem to have forgotten yourself, my lord.

"All hail Jaehaerys the Second Coming of His Name!" Lord Hobert called out. "Here's to the prince on his second nameday!"

Well, at least this one remembers his manners.

"Hail to the Young Dragon, the Conqueror Reincarnated!" another chimed.

Ah, Seven hells...

Aeonar was visibly discomforted at the nicknames being hurled at him nor did he appreciate being compared to his legendary ancestor, Aegon the Conqueror. He was no Aegon. He did not wage war against the Triarchy simply to conquer the Stepstones. All he did was for the benefit of House Targaryen, for the political and economic stability of the realm, because to him it was the best course of action to counter the Crabfeeder's incursion into their shipping lanes. Not for power, not for glory, not for the sake of ambition, but for what he believed to be right. To make House Targaryen a force to be reckoned with once more. Any consequence would lie solely on his shoulders. As Prince of Dragonstone, he would bear that burden until the time came for his inevitable ascension. But as he turned to his left, Aeonar noticed his sister Rhaenyra to be dispirited.