Chapter 13: An Ambitious Prince

Red Keep ― Dining room...

Silence filled the hall of the dining room. Aside from the sounds of forks and knives scratching the dinner plates along with the crickets chirping in the night, King Viserys shared a quiet dinner with his two remaining children by candlelight; Aeonar sat two seats away from him in the middle, Rhaenyra sat across from him. The distance was great, and Viserys felt compelled to mend the rift between his two remaining children.

"It's... nice that we could spend time together like this. As a family," Viserys broke the silence. "The three of us."

You are making this awkward on yourself, father. Aeonar noticed but did not say anything. Instead, he continued cutting the piece of pork in front of him before resuming his meal – only to stop to have a drink.

Rhaenyra noticed their father was the first to make the effort at initiating a conversation. "I agree," she said. "We haven't spoken much... since that day." Because it is not the same without mother around.

"One I'll always regret. We should be free to speak our minds to each other."

"You are the king."

Viserys gave a faint smile. "I... know I wasn't the best, both of you are all I have left." He briefly lowered his head. "Six months and I still miss your mother. Every day. I loved her... very much."

"As did I," Aeonar finally spoke.

"We all did," Rhaenyra echoed. She noticed her brother's posture. It is still a sensitive topic. I get it. I miss mother too, brother. Noticing the silence, she gently ripped apart a piece of meat before eating. "So Aeonar, I take it you've seen the reports I left for you?" she inquired.

"Yes, Rhaenyra. I have read them all. A list of tourney knights was selected to fill the vacancy on the Kingsguard, but only Ser Criston was the only one with actual combat experience. You did well on recommending him to Ser Harrold."

"So, you approve?"

"I approve."

"He's proving himself a fine knight of the Kingsguard," Viserys agreed.

"Now if he could only learn to slow down..."

"What do you mean?"

Aeonar raised an eyebrow. "Ser Criston stammers when he's nervous sometimes," he shook his head. "I suppose we'll work on that after our next sparring session tomorrow morning."

"You two train together?"

"Only on occasions. Helps keep us on our toes... should an incident arise."

Viserys somewhat nodded. "I... see," he remarked. "Well, so long as you are unhurt. You are my only son and lawful heir. The thought of―"

"Father," Aeonar interrupted. "If I can handle six months by myself in the far east, I can deal with a couple of scrapes, bumps, or bruises."

"That still doesn't keep me from worrying."

Rhaenyra moved to change the subject. "Aeonar, I'm told you were quite the adventurer overseas. I'm sure you must have seen plenty of exotic places."

"Oh?" I know what you are trying to do, sister, and I am thankful. "The city-states not hostile to us had their sense of charm... and exoticism. Braavos, Pentos, Lorath, Norvos, Volantis, and many others. They all had their unique likeness, but the more exotic ones are the ones further east than them."

Okay, now you got me curious. "Tell me."

"Well, there was Meereen – glorious, with massive yet ancient architecture. The Great Pyramids has more than thirty-three levels which are considered sacred to the gods of Ghis. Yes, there are few lesser pyramids, but none stand even as tall as them."