Chapter 60: Fate of Laenor Velaryon

Driftmark ― High Tide...

Alicent had made arrangements for the royal family's return to the capital in three days. However, House Velaryon's affairs needed to be resolved before attending a small fair at Spicetown. Unfortunately, the recent incidents involving Aemond, Vhagar, and Aeonar had left Alicent anxious and on edge. Though she regretted her actions towards the queen, Alicent had to protect her children, especially her sons. She would not allow Beatrice to harm any of her five children, but it saddened her that her husband had to suffer the consequences.

« We play an ugly game. And now, for the first time, I see that you have the determination to win it. »

'We Light the Way.' Yes, father. I know what's expected of me. Aeonar might be stubborn in his ways, but that doesn't mean I won't stop trying for him to reconcile with Viserys. Alicent carried a bundle containing sheets, medicinal cloth, and ointments to help her father-in-law, Viserys, who hadn't been feeling well lately. With the added stress, the king looked quite unwell, and Alicent hoped her offerings would bring him some momentary relief until they reached King's Landing. Upon reaching his room, Alicent was granted entry by the Kingsguard knights, Ser Rickard Thorne and Ser Willis Fell, stationed at the door. However, to her surprise, she found neither Beatrice, Aegon the Elder, nor Aemond present. The only person in the room was Helaena, who appeared engrossed in her insect collection. "Your Grace," she said.

Viserys, although tired, acknowledged his daughter-in-law's presence. "Ah, Alicent. Good morning," he sighed wearily. "What's... what's that?" he noticed the collection.

"I've asked them to have wine ready for you on the ship when we leave. To help you sleep." Alicent wrapped a sheet over the king, tucking him gently to ensure he was comfortable. "Are you in pain?" she asked.

"No, I... I'm just tired. That's all."

"And Her Grace?"

Viserys grimaced. "I sent Beatrice back to King's Landing ahead of us. But please, we will speak no more of it," he informed her. She stabbed my son and heir, tried to harm my grandchildren... How can I ever look at her the same after that? "My son... how's Aeonar?" he inquired.

"Maester Kelvyn assured us that Aeonar's wounds would not have any long-term harm, but he mustn't apply too much strain or pressure on his left shoulder for a couple of weeks until it heals properly. Though I must admit, he... can be quite stubborn sometimes. He won't even sit still."

"That does sound like him. I suppose he got it from me, after all. Though I... the funeral, I think, has brought up some... memories that couldn't help but... reopen old wounds."

"Viserys..."

« I will honor your faith in me. I won't let you down, father. »

"Dear Alicent, I am aware of the mistake I made, and I deeply regret what I have done every single day. If I had the power to undo the unforgivable crime I committed, I would do it in a heartbeat. But... my Aemma is gone, and she's no longer with us. Therefore, I must learn to live with the consequences for the rest of my life. As a king and father, I am responsible for bearing this heavy burden."

"Don't be too hard on yourself, Viserys. None of us could've predicted what happened years ago. Letting go of the past and allowing your broken heart to heal is important. However, a matter still needs to be addressed regarding you and Aeonar, Your Grace."

« What have you done?! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!? »

« Between you and mother, you should have died that day – not her. »