Chapter 46: Familial Reunion, Same Tensions

YEAR 126 AC

Red Keep ― Small Council chambers...

Ten years had passed since Rhaenyra's wedding, four since the conflict between the Blacks and Caltrops began, and now the Year of the Red Spring had arrived. And yet, for King Viserys, the small council meetings were more of the same: politicking and banter about the state of affairs. Lyonel Strong, Jasper Wylde, Tyland Lannister, Orwyle, Lyman Beesbury, and Beatrice Peake sat across from him while Ser Harrold Westerling stood beside them.

"It's been four years, and the Triarchy once again has made its move, my lords. House Velaryon has already deployed the full might of its fleet to intercept them at the Stepstones," Tyland reported. "Word has it they've reached out to Dorne for talks of an alliance."

"Not again..." Viserys groaned. The aged king already had a lot on his mind; besides his health, his daughter Rhaenyra was due to give birth again at any time. He wanted to be there for her instead of being coped up in the small council chambers. "What about the emissaries we've sent to Sunspear? Any word from them?"

"Not yet, Your Grace. We're still waiting for Prince Qoren Martell to respond to our messages... as well as the Triarchy's," Lyonel reported.

"Well... I suppose we should keep our fingers crossed that reason prevails."

"If the talks do falter―" Beatrice tried to speak.

"No!" Viserys snapped. "I will not let the integrity of the realm be fractured over minor disputes. My negotiations, my lords, will not fail."

"If they do falter, Your Grace," Tyland repeated, "you realize that another war with the Dornish will be imminent. And with the Triarchy, while nowhere near powerful as they once were, could only complicate things if Dorne does ally with them."

"Your Grace," Lyonel gets up and walks to the window, looking out at the vast city from the Red Keep. "If I might make a suggestion, we could dispatch some agents to see if there could be anything that could be used to give us an edge in the peace talks as well as dealing with the Triarchy. House Velaryon will need all the support they can get in the meantime."

"Do you think it's wise to use the crown's resources during these stressful times?" Beatrice inquired suspiciously. "My lord Hand, if I may comment, I do not believe the situation is that serious enough to warrant the need to inquire about an outcome that's still unknown to us."

"Maybe, but it would help ease His Grace's stress if the matter is looked into. Perhaps... by someone, we're more familiar with... An old friend like... Prince Aeonar?"

Him? Again?! Beatrice fumed. "Lord Strong, I doubt that―"

"That's possible," Tyland surprisingly agreed. "He's just returned from Oldtown with his family. They should be arriving in a few minutes."

Viserys's face lit up. Although his heir was Master of Whisperers, the king was aware of his son's capabilities as a spymaster – allowing him to remain aware of ongoing events from anywhere, whether in Westeros or across the Narrow Sea itself due to the expansion and investment into his spy network. "Well, I suppose we should be the first to welcome them back home," he suggested.

Lyonel nodded. "He'll be as aware of the current situation, so if anything―"

A servant entered. "Forgive me for intruding, my lords. Your Grace," she apologized. "But it's Princess Rhaenyra. She's begun her labors. Praise the Mother."

"Already?" Viserys slowly rose to his feet, steadily supporting himself with his cane. "Well, I think I already know that Aeonar, Alicent, and their children will make their first stop to support Rhaenyra. Now, if you'll excuse me, my lords... I believe I'm expected to see my eighth grandchild being born."