Chapter 30: Attempt to Reconcile

Dragonstone ― Beach...

"I still can't believe that it's come to this. That we'd have to go to him instead of summoning him to the capital," Tyland bemoaned.

Mellos sighed. "Relations between His Grace and his heir have been increasingly strained since the tragic, unfortunate passing of Her Grace Queen Aemma Arryn. But given the more recent events, the falsified reports coming in from the Starry Sept... things have steadily declined since then. If we can't salvage what we can, then I fear what's to come," he said.

"The only thing we can do right now is to ensure the talks go smoothly," Lyonel suggested.

"I'm sure Dragonstone has already received a raven by now."

Viserys and Otto had only been on the beach for a while now. The king couldn't bear to bring himself to look Beatrice in the eyes after what had happened. How could he have been so blind? With the stunning revelation from Farrier's agents that Aeonar was not involved in the annulment between Lady Rhea Royce and Daemon, the political controversy had gripped the crown and made them appear in an unfavorable light. What could he even say to his son after everything he said? No, he had to make things right. But what will Aeonar say? Or even think of him? He had to at least hear him out if given the chance.

Beatrice, meanwhile, stood off to the side. Her exterior displayed the regal wisdom of a queen with control of her surroundings and a sense of calm, but deep down she was arrogant and self-centered to a fault. After her scheme to undermine and discredit her stepson to give her son Aegon a clearer path to the Iron Throne backfired, the queen consort was internally fuming. How dare you make a fool out of me. I am the queen! No matter. My son has the Conqueror's name regardless. I will simply have to try harder this time.

All the while, the gates to Dragonstone opened. Before any could proceed forward, Viserys saw Alicent was the first to greet them, followed by Jaehaerys. However, much to his great chagrin, he noticed Rhaenyra was behind them as well. The king put significant effort to arrange suitors for his daughter for quite some time, but now that he can confirm Rhaenyra's presence on Dragonstone indicated she had once again defied him by ending the tour two months earlier. Syrax rested along the sandbank, raising her head upon the arrival of the group.

"Gampa! Gampa!" Jaehaerys excitedly scurried over. Once he reached the king, the young princeling reached out to Viserys to ask his grandfather to pick him up.

"Oh my!" Viserys smiled warmly and scooped his grandson into his arms, amazed at how quickly the boy was growing. "There's my grandson. My, look how big you have grown, Jaehaerys! Three years old and already walking and talking. Pretty soon you'll become a great king and plenty of girls from all corners of the realm will be swooning all over you― Oh!" Viserys was interrupted by Jaehaerys snuggling him, rubbing his cheek along his grandfather's. "Well! Hahaha! You are quite the affectionate one, aren't you?"

Alicent smiled warmly. "He missed his grandfather," she said.

"And we've missed him." Viserys turned to his Hand. "Didn't we, Otto?"

Otto retained a stoic composure. "He does seem to be growing since we last saw him. Has he been fed right? And you've made the necessary arrangements to prepare him?" he asked.

"Yes, father. We're making sure Jaehaerys receives everything he needs to stay healthy."

Viserys then put his grandson down, watching as the toddler run off to play in the sand. The king then noticed Alicent's swollen belly. "Alicent, are you... you're pregnant again?" he noticed.

The other councilors noticed as well.

Alicent nodded. "Yes, Your Grace," she confirmed. "Maester Alwyn informed me the baby is due two months before the Summer Festival this year."