Chapter 9: Targaryen Standoff

Dragonstone ― Beyond the Gateway...

Having learned of this latest act of unpredictable behavior from Prince Daemon, Ser Otto assembled a small force of twenty household guards, accompanied by several Kingsguard, to liberate the island fortress from the Rogue Prince and his private army of City Watch loyalists. Alwyn and the other household staff on Dragonstone were bound and practically held hostage by Daemon and his followers.

Waves crashed against the shores. Although the island bore no abundance of gold or jewelry - only bearing vast hordes of dragonglass – and not on the sheer scale of other great castles such as Storm's End or the Red Keep, Dragonstone is still regarded as one of the strongest castles in all the Seven Kingdoms, due to its advanced Valyrian architectural design and its location greatly enhancing its already formidable defensive prowess: a vast fleet of ships would be required simply to transport troops and large siege weapons to its location, and even then they would be forced to make a risky amphibious landing while under fire from the castle's catapults. When Aegon the Conqueror united six of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros under his rule, Dragonstone became the seat of the crown prince.

"Steady yourselves, men," Ser Harrold advised.

Descending the steps to meet his adversaries, with a dragon egg he stole in one arm, Daemon and Mysaria - accompanied by a detachment of gold cloaks – moved to intercept his rivals on the bridge leading to the castle. "Welcome to Dragonstone, Otto," Daemon maintained a high smugness.

"Your occupation of this island is at an end." Otto relayed the message. "You're to relinquish the dragon's egg, disband your army, banish your whοre," he said referring to Mysaria, "and leave Dragonstone by order of His Grace, King Viserys―"

"Where is the king? I don't see him."

"His Grace would never lower himself to entertain such a mummer's farce. And you know it."

Daemon, still smug, counted the number of knights and Dragonkeeper acolytes before him. Even with your meager forces, Otto, I still have you entirely outclassed. He noticed Ser Harrold Westerling among them, but he turned to recognize a new face among the Kingsguard - Ser Criston Cole, from the tourney six months ago who not only unseated him during the joust but defeated him in the melee as well. Daemon had heard that Lord Commander Ryam Redwyne had passed away and Harrold took his place, which meant that 'someone' had appointed Criston to fill in the vacancy. "Ser Crispin, wasn't it?" he mocked.

"Ser Criston Cole, my prince," Criston corrected. Six months later, you still have not changed. The princess, it seems, was right about you.

"Ah yes, apologies. I couldn't recall."

"Perhaps my prince recalls when I knocked him off his horse."

Alwyn could hear the men behind Otto laughing and see Daemon getting increasingly irritable. Yet the Rogue Prince could not help but form a grin. Oh, you are a funny little man, aren't you? "Very good," he chuckled.

"This is truly a pathetic show, Daemon," Otto scoffed. "Are you so desperate for the king's attention that you've resorted to skulking about like a common cutpurse?"

"I'm simply keeping with the traditions of my house, the same as my brother did for his heir," Daemon challenged.

"Those traditions are for the trueborn children of royalty, not for bastards fathered on a common whore."

"Lady Mysaria is to be my wife."

"This is an abomination. With every breath, you soil your name, your house, and your brother's reign."

"Our love does not know titles and traditions."