Chapter 56

The following morning I won't say I felt better completely but I did feel better than yesterday.

Maman Bala was in front of my door again "Manal haba dan Allah! Kwana daya kina kulle ah daki kina kuka? Ba abinchi ba ruwa?? Gaskiya ya isa haka, in baki budde ba Zan kira Maman Khalifa"

I stayed rooted to in spot as I watched the door.

I heard his footsteps, knowing of his presence before he even spoke.

"Wai bata budde ba har yanzu?" He asked her.

"Wallahi, dan Allah kayi haquri ka mata magana"

"Manal." He said.

I blinked at the door.

"Ki budde qofan." He said.

I shook my head as if he could see me.

"Kinji? Yi haquri, budde qofan."

I felt like I should be the one apologizing, I didn't want to face him after...that.

I didn't want to see him. I didn't want to meet his eyes.

"Manal." He called again

I sat there.

There was silence for a few seconds, I knew he was still there.

My feet moved on their own.

I walked to the door and I turned the lock open.

He opened the door, he collected the tray from Maman Bala before coming in and pushing the door close and locking the key like I did.

He walked into the room and he sat on the couch before motioning I sit beside him.

I refused to make eye contact.

I walked to where he was sitting and I sat beside him.

He picked up the chips on the plate with the fork before literally shoving them into my mouth.

He did that to get a reaction out of me, for me to look at him in annoyance, something.

I simply chewed.

He continued feeding me until the plate was empty.

He kept the tray on the ground.

The silence after  was terrible. At least on my side, the more it dragged on the more it felt awkward sitting there.

He held my hand and he pulled me towards him.

The waterworks began again.

I cried and I cried and I cried as he held me.

"Enough" he said as he wiped my tears.

I think I love him.

I hoped it wasn't true, I wished it was my heart being delusional and making things up. But it wasn't.

I loved him too much that it hurts, I never understood when people said that but now I do.