Chapter 8- Agent Crimson

Agent Crimson stood before the Administrator's desk, trying to keep her hands from trembling. He towered over her, shadows playing across his face.
    "Agent Crimson, report," he boomed. She attempted to arrange her features into a mask of confidence and respect, terrified he would react poorly to the news she was about to deliver.
    "Agent Walker's reception to the Anomaly department has been..." she hesitated, bracing herself, "well, it's been less than ideal sir. His biometrics picked up on distressing levels of stress and indicators of guilt." The Administrator remained perfectly still, his features not betraying any emotion. Agent Crimson felt the tension building and scrambled to fill the foreboding silence.
    "Sir, isn't there a chance that placing Agent Walker in this particular environment could cause some unwanted memories to surface?" The Administrator rose to his full imposing height, and the agent shrank back in fear.
    "Are you questioning me, Agent Crimson?" he said lowly, in a tone that screamed of danger. Crimson shook her head furiously, trying to step back even further."
    "Answer me when I talk to you," he said softly, taking a step closer to her.
    "No sir, of course not," she replied meekly. His eyes blazed, but he advanced no further.
    "This is Agent Walker's final test of loyalty. It will break the final part of his old life: protecting the helpless. If he fails, I will need to reconsider his future role in the Administration. He may have to repeat the purification process a second time." Agent Crimson's eyes widened. Sure, she hated Anomalies, but to put even an Anomaly through the purification process twice? There would be nothing left of him. Anomalies rarely survived the first time, surviving a second was not possible.
    "But sir-" she began cautiously. Without warning, the Administrator sprung forward and lifted her into the air, strong fingers digging into her neck. She struggled and lashed out, trying to free herself from his grip.
    "Please," she wheezed. "Sir please," Agent Crimson sobbed. The Administrator glared at her furiously. Agent Crimson knew she was about to die, and cursed herself for being so stupid. Who cared if some Anomaly got tortured? The fire in his eyes relented and he flung her to the ground hard. She landed with a loud thud, gasping for air and shaking.
    "Question me one more time," he warned her softly, "and you will have the pleasure of completing your own purification process." Agent Crimson slowly rose to her feet and took an unsteady step towards the door.
    "Yes sir, thank you sir," she croaked, quickly leaving the room as quickly as she could. As she walked back towards her office clutching her sore neck, Agent Crimson knew she would do anything to protect herself from that man, no matter how many people she had to destroy along the way.