Chapter 19

Sara's eyes shot open as she heard the faint ringing of the dorm room bell. She groggily got up, her mind still foggy from sleep, and shuffled to the door. With a swift movement, she opened it and found Alex standing there, his expression a mix of regret and unease.

Memories flooded back to Sara in an instant—she remembered the almost kiss  between her and Alex, the moment Mia had caught them, the hurt and betrayal in Mia's eyes, and finally, the way Alex had run after Mia as she fled, leaving Sara alone in a whirlwind of confusion and pain.

Sara's features hardened as she looked at Alex, her body tense with anger and hurt. "What are you doing here?" she demanded, her voice sharp with emotion. "I don't want to talk to you."

Alex's eyes pleaded with her, his body language reflecting his remorse. He took a step forward, his hands held out in a gesture of supplication. "Sara, please, let me explain," he implored, his voice tinged with desperation. "I never meant to hurt you or Mia. I was a fool, and I'm so sorry."

Sara's fists clenched at her sides as she struggled to keep her emotions in check. She could feel the weight of his words sinking in, stirring up a whirlwind of conflicting feelings within her. Part of her wanted to scream at him, to make him understand the pain he had caused. Yet another part of her still held a flicker of affection for him.

Alex shifted nervously from foot to foot, his eyes filled with remorse as he took in Sara's expression. The weight of his actions weighed heavily on him, the sight of her hurt etched across her features like a painful scar. He knew he had a lot of explaining to do, and he hoped beyond hope that she would grant him the opportunity to make things right.

"Sara, I'm so sorry," Alex began, his voice laced with sincerity as he reached out to touch her arm gently, as if seeking solace through the connection. "I messed up, and I know I hurt you. I had to come and tell you... I broke up with Mia. I have feelings for you, Sara."

Sara felt her breath catch in her throat at his words, her mind reeling at the sudden revelation. She struggled to make sense of the whirlwind of emotions coursing through her, the conflicting desires warring within her heart.

Her eyes flickered with uncertainty as she took a step back, needing the physical distance to process the bombshell that Alex had just dropped on her. She searched his face for any hint of deceit, but all she saw was raw vulnerability and regret shining back at her.

"Why are you here, Alex?" Sara finally managed to ask, her voice tinged with a mixture of hurt and confusion. "After last night, after how you left... Why now?"

Alex's shoulders slumped as he averted his gaze, his admission heavy on his tongue as he struggled to find the right words to explain himself. "I panicked, Sara. I let my insecurities get the best of me, and I made a huge mistake. I ran after Mia because I was scared... but she's not who I want. It's you, Sara. It's always been you."

Sara felt her heart clench at his confession, her mind reeling with the implications of his words. She had spent countless moments replaying the almost kiss in her mind, grappling with the intensity of the emotions it had stirred within her. And now, faced with Alex standing before her, bearing his soul and laying his heart at her feet, she found herself at a loss for words.

"I need time, Alex," Sara finally whispered, her voice barely audible as she struggled to keep her composure. "I need to sort things out, to figure out what I want."

Alex nodded solemnly, a flicker of hope igniting in his eyes as he met her gaze once more. "I understand, Sara. Take all the time you need. But know that my feelings for you are real, and I'll do whatever it takes to make this right."

With a heavy heart, Sara closed the door, the weight of the moment pressing down on her like a suffocating blanket. She knew she had a difficult road ahead, one filled with tough decisions and painful conversations. And as she stood alone in her dorm room, the echoes of Alex's words reverberating in her mind, she knew that the first step she needed to take was a conversation with Mia.

Taking a deep breath, Sara reached for her phone, steeling herself for the difficult conversation that lay ahead. As she dialed the familiar number, her heart heavy with conflicting emotions, she prayed for the strength to face the truth and the courage to follow her heart, wherever it may lead.