Chapter 18

As Alex stood on the other end of the phone, his heart ached with regret and guilt. The weight of his own actions bore down on him, and he felt a deep sense of shame for how he had handled the situation with Sara. His mind raced back to that moment in the dimly lit room, the charged atmosphere between them, the almost kiss that never happened. He could see Sara's hurt expression, the confusion in her eyes as he walked away.

As he dialed Sara's number, his heart pounded in his chest, anticipating her comforting voice on the other end. But instead, Ashley's voice answered, cool and distant. Alex's confusion grew as he blurted out, "Where is Sara? I need to talk to her."

"Hello?" Ashley's voice brought him back to the present. Her tone was cool, distant, clearly conveying her disapproval of his actions.

"Hi, Ashley. Is Sara there? I need to talk to her," Alex asked, his voice laced with urgency.

"No, she's not here. She's asleep," Ashley replied curtly.

"Can you please wake her up? It's important," Alex pleaded.

Ashley hesitated for a moment before responding, "No, I can't do that. She's been through enough tonight. What do you want, Alex?"

"I...I want to apologize. I never meant to hurt her. I was confused, and I didn't know what to do. I never wanted things to end this way," Alex said, his voice filled with remorse.

A sigh came through the phone, and Ashley's voice softened slightly. "Alex, do you have feelings for Sara?"

Alex paused, the question hitting him like a ton of bricks. Did he have feelings for Sara? The truth was tangled in a web of emotions — guilt, attraction, confusion. But deep down, he knew there was something more.

"Yes, I do. I care about her a lot," Alex admitted, his voice barely above a whisper.

There was a moment of silence on the other end of the line before Ashley spoke again. "If you care about her, then you need to make things right. You can't keep playing with her feelings like this. She deserves better than that."

Alex felt a lump form in his throat as Ashley's words sank in. He had been so focused on his own turmoil that he hadn't stopped to consider the impact of his actions on Sara. The realization was like a punch to his gut, and he knew he had to do something to make it right.

"I will, Ashley. I promise. I'll talk to Sara and Mia, and I'll make things right," Alex vowed, his voice filled with determination.

"Good. Just remember, actions speak louder than words," Ashley said before ending the call abruptly.

Alex stood there, the weight of his mistakes heavy on his shoulders. But amidst the guilt and regret, a glimmer of hope shone through. He knew what he had to do next. With a resolve in his heart, he made a plan to confront his feelings and set things straight with Sara and Mia. It wouldn't be easy, but he was willing to do whatever it took to make things right and show Sara that his feelings were sincere.

Ashley's voice softened slightly, but her tone remained firm. "If you have feelings for Sara, then be honest with her. And with Mia. Don't keep playing with Sara's feelings if you're not serious about it. She deserves better than that."

               ****************

Alex's heart raced as he dialed Mia's number, waiting anxiously for her to pick up. After what felt like an eternity, the call went to voicemail. He clenched his jaw, knowing Mia was intentionally avoiding him.

Frustration bubbled inside as he called again and again, each time met with silence from the other end. Was she really going to ignore him like this? Alex ran a hand through his hair, a mix of anger and sadness washing over him.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, Mia answered the call. Her voice was cold, distant. "What do you want, Alex?"

Relief flooded through him at finally hearing her voice, but her tone made his heart sink. "Mia, please, just give me a chance to explain," he pleaded, his voice tinged with desperation.

Mia hesitated for a moment before replying, "Fine. Explain your self Alex

Alex pleased " not over the phone. Meet me at the cafe on 5th Street in an hour please."
Mia hesitated "ok I'll be there in an hour"
"Thank you, Mia. " he said, a renewed sense of hope filling him

                 ******************

Alex sat nervously in the bustling café, tapping his fingers on the table as he awaited Mia's arrival. His heart was heavy with the weight of the conversation he knew he had to have with her. The smell of freshly brewed coffee and the chatter of the other patrons faded into the background as he tried to prepare himself for what was to come.

Suddenly, Mia appeared at the entrance of the café, her eyes scanning the room until they met Alex's. The pain and confusion in her expression struck him like a knife to the gut. She made her way over to his table, her movements slow and deliberate.

"Alex, what did you want to talk about?" Mia's voice was barely a whisper, tinged with a mix of sadness and anger.

Taking a deep breath, Alex met her gaze and spoke, "Mia, I... I need to explain something to you. I... I tried to kiss Sara, and I know that was not right. I am sorry, Mia. I should never have done that."

Mia's eyes welled up with tears as she struggled to process his words. "How could you do that? How could you try to kiss Sara when we are in a relationship ?" Her voice cracked with emotion.

Alex fidgeted with his hands, his own heart heavy with guilt. "Mia, I wanted to tell you... I have feelings for Sara. I didn't want to hurt you, but I couldn't help how I felt. I care about you, Mia. I didn't want to lose your friendship, but my feelings for Sara... they are real. I can't stay in a relationship with you when I have these feelings for someone else. Please, try to understand."

Mia's tears flowed freely now, her expression a mix of heartbreak and disbelief. "How could you? How could you lead me on like this, Alex?" Her voice trembled with emotion as she struggled to make sense of the situation.

Alex reached out a hand towards Mia, a gesture of comfort, but she pulled away, the hurt evident in her eyes. "I'm so sorry, Mia. I never meant to hurt you. I know I made a mistake, and I understand if you can't forgive me. I just needed to be honest with you about how I feel."

Mia shook her head, the weight of the situation settling heavily on her shoulders. "I thought... I thought we had something special, Alex. I thought you cared about me."

"I do care about you, Mia," Alex said softly. "But I can't ignore my feelings for Sara. I understand if you need time to process this. I truly am sorry."

The tension in the air was palpable as Mia struggled to find words to respond. She looked at Alex with a mixture of hurt and resignation, the reality of the situation sinking in. The café seemed to grow quieter, their conversation enveloping them in a bubble of turmoil.

As their eyes met once more, Mia spoke in a voice laced with pain, "I don't know if I can forgive you, Alex. I need time to think about all of this. I never imagined this would happen between us."

Alex nodded, understanding the gravity of his actions. "I will give you the space you need, Mia. I just hope that one day you can find it in your heart to forgive me."

And with that, a heavy silence fell between them as they both grappled with the shattered pieces of their relationship, uncertain of what the future held for them.