Chapter 23: Dates and Disasters

Start from the beginning

“I believe it’s you who likes it rough hotness.” He whispered seductively into my ear and removed his body from mine within seconds. He grasped my hand in his and tugged my body along beside him, continuing to walk up Columbia Street toward Capital Park.

I let him hold my hand, not daring to say a word, fearing that he would realize what he was doing and revert to the just friends state of us. When we topped the hill, we entered the park and Fenix led me to a nearby bench. I was winded from the uphill climb and took a seat next to him after he brushed off the light dusting of snow that barely covered the bench. I loved it here. It was so beautiful and serene. It was one of the only things I enjoyed about my hometown of Albany New York.

I hated the hills and all of the narrow and confusing one-way streets that were paved in stone, not blacktop. It reminded me of San Francisco, with the multitude of hilly roads that descended steeply. It wasn’t the descent that bothered me though, it was the climb back up that I loathed. But the park was gorgeous in late November, with fall foliage in brilliant oranges and reds that still clung to the trees and the hint of morning frost that still covered the grass and glistened in the late morning sun. Not to mention that the architecture of the Capital Building was divine and breathtaking.

I don’t know how long we sat there, holding hands and staring quietly into the serenity, but it seemed like hours. I wanted to learn more about my mysterious and sexy ass teacher friend, but was hesitant to delve further, fearing that he would reject my questioning as he so often did.  Scaring up a semblance of courage, I spoke up and asked him to elaborate on a few things I was interested in knowing.

“How long have you been teaching?” I wondered aloud. His age was still too young to be a professor at a state university, high school maybe, but college not so much.

“It’s my second year. Why, am I not a good teacher?” Fenix inquired, seeming a bit nervous and vulnerable. I chuckled at his lack of confidence.  He’s so damn cute when he’s insecure.

“Don’t panic, you’re a great teacher. That’s not it.” I responded casually.

“What then, I’m not distinguished enough? And I thought I was your favorite sexy teacher.” He countered with the sexy smirk that I have come to adore.

“Don’t flatter yourself Rivers.” I quipped in reply. Our banter was easy and I could see that he was opening up to me, so I had to tread on thin ice. I didn’t want to push him and cause a fight, ruining our time together, or get too personal and have him clam up on me.

“Then why don’t you flatter me?” Fenix replied and raised our interlaced hands to his face to place a faint kiss on the back of my hand. My heart sputtered out of control, but not in a deadly way. I smiled and blushed at his gesture, even if I had no idea what it meant to him. I sighed, ignoring it and continued my line of questioning.

“How are you a professor if you’re only 25?” I inquired, genuinely interested in his response.

“I graduated from high school when I was 16. I spent six years in college. First I got my bachelors degree in psychology with a minor in education. I then spent two years completing my master’s in education which qualified me to teach at the college level. I have a dual degree, one in psychology and one in education.” He explained thoroughly. He was a psychologist? Damn him. No wonder he was so good at reading me and figuring me out.