Chapter 29: Entangled

~ With each passing moment the bond between us becomes harder to ignore ~

'I don't think that you're half-human, Wanette' 

Before long we arrive back at the safehouse in the town of Elmbrook. I jump out of the truck and watch as Jacques drives off before going inside. Kyra rushes down the stairs to greet me; eager to know how the night went. 

"How was it?" she asks, her eyes gleaming with curiosity. "It was alright... hurt like hell though" I mention, earning a small chuckle from the brown-eyed girl. "How's Scarlett?" I inquire. "She's still the same" 

I nod before excusing myself, wanting to retreat to my room. I close the door behind me; needing some privacy, some alone time to process everything. I sigh. What am I? What are we?

'I think that you're a vampire' she alleges, slightly unsure. How can I be a vampire? How can it be? My mother was a human slave and my father was the son of the previous Alpha... So, how...

'Miriam. She can't have been human' 

Are you trying to say that my mother was a vampire? 'Wouldn't she have had your older sister Maeve at 15? Don't you think that's a bit too young unless... she doesn't age' she mentions. Now that I think about it... my mother has always looked the same.

At this point I slowly realise the reality of the situation; my mother was a vampire posing as a human or did they know? Did my father know who she really was? Did she even know? She must've right?

'Forget everything I said before about Julian; I think we can trust him... probably more than we can trust Rue and Jacques really. Perhaps, the bond between us isn't a spell meant to trick us but rather it may exist because of your vampire lineage' 

I hurry down the stairs and grab some money left on the entryway table by the front door. "I'm just going to Elmbrook Groceries, I'll be back in a bit" I shout out to Kyra before promptly leaving the safehouse and making my way towards the town centre. I'll drop by the bookstore first to talk to Julian. I think that you're right Kali; we've misunderstood him. 

As the red brick buildings come into view I close in on Monty's Bookshelf. I sigh upon reaching the quaint bookstore, seeing that it is closed. What do I do now? It's not like I can just call him...

Realising that I'm not going to get anywhere by waiting outside for him all day I decide to head to Elmbrook Groceries like I said I was going to do anyway. I make my way into the small shop and browse the aisles full of produce. My mind, however, wanders back to the blood of that rogue from last night. I begin to salivate, wanting more, needing more. Why can't I stop thinking about-

"Oi! Watch it, you right weirdo!" a girl yells in a British accent as I bump into her shoulder, distracted by my own thoughts. "Oh, I'm sorry" I mumble, looking up at the girl as I apologise. Werewolf.

I stare at her dumbfounded, taking in her appearance. Her dirty blonde hair is thrown up in a massive bun on the top of her head. Her dull blue eyes are hidden by lengthy fake eyelashes. Her ginormous plastic lips are covered by a nude lipstick; a shade lighter than her orange patchy fake tan. She sports a basic black Adidas tracksuit but what stands out the most has to be her eyebrows; dark and thick, almost like two caterpillars. 

"What you lookin' at?" she sneers, her mouth ajar as she chews her gum, looking me up and down. "Weirdo" she pushes past, causing me to stumble back a little. Who is...

"I'm so sorry about my daughter" a woman apologises on her behalf. The girl rolls her eyes at the woman, a slightly older version of herself. "Oh. It's alright" I mutter. I then swiftly move to another aisle not wanting to cause a scene. I quickly pick up some random food items, feeling slightly uncomfortable with the girl continuing to shoot me daggers from across the small store and hurry to the till to pay. Once I hand over the money and bag up the food I dash out of the shop, away from the girl. Goddess, she was a bit... intimidating.