Chapter 25: Bait

~ Hook, line and sinker ~

Rue promptly rises from the sofa, excusing herself to take the call. She stands in the kitchen and answers. "Hello?" she starts, leaning against the counters as I watch on from the living area. "It's me..." an unknown man whispers on the other end of the line, my enhanced hearing making it so I can hear his voice too. 

"Jasper?" Rue gasps, her eyes going wide and her mouth agape. Jasper? Now where have I heard that name before... "I need your help; I need to get out of here before they find me" he manages to get out, his voice shaking. "Where are you? I'll come and get you" she says, pushing herself off of the counter. "I'm in Cheltenham..." he replies through quiet sobs. "Alright. I'm in Canada right now so it'll take me a while to get to you, do you think you can make your way to Bristol? I can meet you there outside the airport in like 10 or 11 hours maybe, if I can get a last minute flight" she utters, staggering over to me in the living area from the kitchen. 

"Yeah I can get there but I'm going to have to keep moving so they can't track me down" he notes, struggling to get the words out. "I'm on my way! I'll get there as soon as I can" she says before promptly hanging up. "I have to go; my brother needs me" she states, rushing out the front door without a second glance.

I dart out after her, a pit forming in my stomach. Something... Something doesn't feel quite right about this. "Rue! Wait!" I yell, watching as she dials Jacques' number. "Jacques, can you come and pick me up? It's important" she asks, her back still facing me. "Sure thing! On my way" he says before the call drops abruptly. Rue then turns around to face me. "Sorry Wanette but I need to go and get my brother. I'm sure you'll be fine looking after Kyra and Scarlett alone for a few days; I shouldn't be too long" she says, fighting back her tears. 

"I understand but don't you think this is a little strange I mean how did he even get your number?" I mention, noting how this situation doesn't sit well with me. "He probably managed to get it from the BWA. Don't worry Wanette; I know what I'm doing and besides my brother wouldn't throw me under the bus, he'd never do that" she states. 

As Jacques' black Chevrolet Silverado pulls up she quickly jumps in and waves to me as they drive down the road, leaving me to stand on the porch alone. The pit in my stomach only sinks deeper the longer I stay out here on my own. My mind spirals as fear takes precedence. Is she really leaving us? Will I even get to see her again? I can't help but think something bad is going to happen, like really bad. I'm probably just being paranoid right... right?

My chest tightens and my breaths become short and sharp. I put a hand to my heart, feeling it race. She's going to...

'Wanette, breathe' Kali whispers, trying to ease my panic. Kali...

In. Out. In. Out. In. Out.

I sigh, relieved once my heartbeat returns to normal and the pressure around my chest loosens. Kali. Where have you been? 'I just needed some time alone' she says solemnly. 

I am pulled from my thoughts by a panicked Kyra rushing out towards me. "What's going on? Where has Rue gone?" she asks, her brown eyes darting between my form and the empty road. "Her brother called, apparently he's alive" I reveal, continuing to stare out towards the forest. "Our Alpha? But if he's still alive wouldn't he be able to contact us through the pack bond" she comments. Holy shit. It's a trap. 

"Stay here and look after Scarlett; I'll go and get Rue" I insist before sprinting away from the safehouse, leaving Kyra there on the porch alone. I have to get to the airport before she boards a plane. Shit. How do I get there quick enough? I can't possibly run there and make it in time...