Chapter Fourteen

"He's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."

                                                  - Emily Bronte

There was no label on our relationship yet, but Annie was someone who liked taking things in a slow manner.

Every evening, we'd sneak out to the forest clearing and catch the sunset. It was our special place; and I was in love with it.

Although, with all that was happening, more tension rose between Jenna and I. She hadn't yet confronted me about it -- which surprises me. I mean, I knew of her secret; but she still might have the impression that I'm brainswashed under her spell. I'm sure my odd behavior hasn't helped the case, however. I suppose I could use the excuse where I simply felt uncomfortable ever since I nearly broke Trevor's nose.

I was actually beginning to think Jenna would never mention it, until one dreadful Monday morning.

"So... you and Annie..." she awkwardly said.

"What about us?"

"I didn't know the two of you began going out." She spoke, stopping right in front of me.

Sighing, I said; "Yeah, we're sort of dating. Is there a problem?"

Jenna blinked. "No, no, of course not! I'm just... surprised, is all."

"Hmph. Alright, well I got to get to class. See you later?" I pushed past her, listening to her irritating groan.

At the end of the day, I met up with Annie in the lounge, who greeted me with an ecstatic kiss. "Ready?" she asked.

"As always-

The sound of a gang of girls bickering echoed through the room all of a sudden. Jenna and her friend Vanessa were having a heated argument with Milly, Georgia and Amelia about nonsense. Not caring for it, Annie and I merely shrugged and headed out to the glade.

The sun glimmered ever so delicately as I lay my head on Annie's lap, who sat on her knees. Her small pale hand gently caressed through my untidy black curls. "You have the most wonderful hair." Annie complemented. "It matches so with your olive skin."

"Me? Not even close, compared to the beauty you withhold," was my somewhat cringe-worthy response. But she only laughed.

It was her smile that made me jump onto the question. "Annie," I said as I sat up slowly, taking her hand into mine, "I know this has only been going on for about a week now, but I can't help contain these feelings bursting through me at the moment. I wanted to ask..." I stopped for a second, really taking the idea into consideration.

"Ask what?"

"Annie Miles, will you be my girlfriend?"

Her smile broke into a wide grin. "Why, of course, Gray!"

We pulled each other into a tight embrace -- there wasn't a single thing that could pull me away from her.

That was, until I heard the sound of rustling nearby. Annie and I gazed out to where it came from, but it had already stopped. There was no wind, and it was only that particular spot where it had occurred. Maybe it was an animal of some sort.

Either way, it granted Annie and I enough paranoia to leave abruptly. It was probably best we left as soon as possible.

Later that night, Annie and I hung out by the fireplace, talking about different things. Although, certain stuff crossed my mind -- like how uncomfortable I was for ignoring the Nightstalker situation. Then again, what could we possibly do about it? We're outnumbered, and I've seen what Jenna is capable of.